Modified equipment and insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YooHoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

yesterday I was talking to my LDS regarding some 1st stage modification (adding LP hose port adapter). He warned me that with this mod I could loose my insurance. And also if I am mixing 1st stage with 2nd stage of different brands.

What are your experience with loosing insurance?

I know nothing of the insurance structure in Slovenia, but this sounds very much like just another (albeit quite creative) LDS game. The "mods" you mention are very simple and are done every day in the US with no insurance concerns by the diver.

As long as the first stage and second are set to the correct intermediate pressure you should have no problem mixing and matching many brands... Though when its time for service you may confuse the hell out of the tech looking at it after he orders the parts kit for the wrong 1st stage.... Since he would be looking at the second stages to come up with a brand marking.

Maybe warranty and insurance are getting confused in translation. I don't know what Slovenian laws may require but it's highly unlikely that adding a port adapter or using different brand second stages will void your warranty, it doesn't in the US at least.....at worst, you simply keep the orginal second stage and if you need warranty work, just reinstall it before taking it to the repair facility. Soundls like creative scare tactics by the LDS to me.

---------- Post Merged at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:09 AM ----------

As long as the first stage and second are set to the correct intermediate pressure you should have no problem mixing and matching many brands... Though when its time for service you may confuse the hell out of the tech looking at it after he orders the parts kit for the wrong 1st stage.... Since he would be looking at the second stages to come up with a brand marking.

If it does, it's time to find a better tech.

I know nothing of the insurance structure in Slovenia, but this sounds very much like just another (albeit quite creative) LDS game. The "mods" you mention are very simple and are done every day in the US with no insurance concerns by the diver.

It was discussed DAN insurance. If there was some kind of accident and I was using this modified reg with port adapter, I would not be covered?

It was discussed DAN insurance. If there was some kind of accident and I was using this modified reg with port adapter, I would not be covered?

Call DAN and verify that your LDS is FOS.

Next, the LDS will inform you if you purchase you gear over the internet, insurance will be voided because they are not an authorized dealer. :)

Looking at the second stage to figure out what model it is to order parts?? Are you F'ing kidding me?? You need to learn a thing or two about regulator service.

Modifying equipment will almost certainly void the warranty on that equipment. But adding a component should not. That is different than an insurance issue. As to Dan insurance, which is not liability but accident and health care coverage, if your policy reads like mine, the answer is "no," no impact on the applicability of the insurance or its coverage.
DIvemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom