Modern research/thoughts on Ascent Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back on topic about ascent rates. A big reel goes clack clack clack as you wind it up. You kind of get used to the optimal speed of winding for 9m/30ft per min. If it gets much faster, you've some dumping to do.

Genuinely interested Rich, can you hit/maintain a 10m a minute ascent to the smb launch depth?

We generally ascend on the shot/lazy shot/trapeze and it can be quite a challenge even with the line to hit the 10m/min rate.
Hi Jon,
I am at 9m/min, and am usually pretty close. Getting there with practice. Its usually easier diving with OC divers to set the pace if possible! If not, we tend to be solid on about 8 at the moment for the deeper phase. Inflating DSMB off suit inflate hose is fine too, one person is controlling the deco, the other the blob, so we don't task load too much.

Rich

Curious how you inflate the SMB when diving CCR -- suit inflate or bailout tails?

Main reason I moved to a big reel and self-inflating SMB was to take away a load of the hassle of launching a SMB as the ascent on a CCR is so busy, anything for an easy life is good. The heavier reel also smooths out the bumps from waves on the surface. The other dirty secret is the heavier reel can help if you have a little buoyancy hiccup - the weight of the reel can be used to pull yourself down rather than dumping gas or finning down.

Close the DSV, exhale into SMB, go back on loop. It's not rocket science.

Close the DSV, exhale into SMB, go back on loop. It's not rocket science.
Obviously you can’t fully exhale as you need some breath to clear the mouthpiece.

We’ll have to differ on the utility of using the loop to inflate a DSMB

Obviously you’re not fully exhaling. I use my suit gas whip, but I think you’re on an island in thinking that using the DSV is a big deal or non useful.

I also use my lung volumn to inflat the smb. I dump a bit from the wing and add some extra dil to the loop to remain neutral. this way when i vent into the smb I remain perfectly neutral and can hold the smb to help others, wait until ready, or get untangeled etc. I do not close the dsv either, I just hold the smb overhead , look up, bring smb down on top of dsv, let my lips go loose, and vent. works like a dream. Just need to be ready to bump the wing inflator when you let it go.

Obviously you can’t fully exhale as you need some breath to clear the mouthpiece.

Of course you can't fully exhale, but if you find taking a DSV out of your mouth and putting it back in a challenging skill, then I would argue that you need to work on some basic skills.

Of course you can't fully exhale, but if you find taking a DSV out of your mouth and putting it back in a challenging skill, then I would argue that you need to work on some basic skills.
No breath left, no problems, just suck some bailout gas or let some water into the loop.

Ah, the benefits of a BOV.

Better still, use your drysuit inflator hose or a self inflating DSMB and leave your loop in your mouth. It’s not open circuit Tonto

Why can't you just inflate smb by dumping into SMB from your wing / power inflate. I've had a few practice runs and its not as easy as John Chatterton suggests.

I'll try @Dsix36 method next opportunity avails. I can see that its like a bail out ascent and burping the loop overhead it would seem to me a touch disorienting losing a visual reference to ensure you not ascending.

I'm not saying I don't have the skill to do it. I can pedal a bike with no hands but I don't do it very often for obvious reason.

Loop gas -- henceforth to be known as expensive loop gas -- using a dubious inflation method requiring the loop to be removed and replaced a couple or three times. Or using a drysuit inflator running off of cheap air.

Or just use CO2 cartridges. Cheap, reliable, very effective. With a fallback to use the drysuit inflator hose if the cartridge(s) didn't fire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom