Moderation: Too much or too little?

What is your GENERAL feeling about SB moderation?

• I'd like to see more moderation

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I'd like to see less moderation

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I think the current level of moderation is fine.

Votes: 74 66.1%
  • I have another opinion - state below

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

I think NetDoc understands. Using registered users in the denominator ANY fraction will yield misleading results. Using a more realistic basis of comparison (like unique daily users - around 17,000 from your post above) will be much more defensible and still prove the same point.

No problem. While NetDoc is the grand poobah... I am the stats guy. I'm in sales and marketing, and know our stats, as that's my job. Forgive Pete for citing the stat posted on our forum homepage.

I should also add, that there is are many people who use SB but just don't post. The reason most often cited is that "ScubaBoard is mean"

So when people in the minority comment that, "it's just an internet forum, toughen up" that quite frankly perpetuates the problem and confirms that ScubaBoard IS mean. If current moderation efforts "Re-Focus on Friendliness" is that bad? A very vocal minority wants to criticize ScubaBoard for that, and really... why? Is it so important to bash people? Is it better to run off new divers who seek knowledge and understanding of the sport? While ScubaBoard has many areas where regulars can chat, and go off topic and even argue. The fact of the matter is that ScubaBoard is pretty much about Scuba. Shouldn't we encourage people to post, and offer divers polite responses (especially new divers) rather than running them off, and scaring people away?

SC_Hoaty:
I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

I think NetDoc understands.
So, I'll change from a super ultra small minority to a very small minority. I just get the idea that you are splitting fine hairs at this point, and I don't understand why either. Notice I didn't use super ultra fine hair here: fine hair will suffice for the image.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I'll change from a super ultra small minority to a very small minority. I just get the idea that you are splitting fine hairs at this point, and I don't understand why either. Notice I didn't use super ultra fine hair here: fine hair will suffice for the image.

Put colons around this and that could be the next Popcorn smilie. I can't imagine a case where the :popcorn: smilie could have been more snarky than this. IJS.

Put colons around this and that could be the next Popcorn smilie. I can't imagine a case where the :popcorn: smilie could have been more snarky than this. IJS.
If I were to say something like "Sorry, I ran out of Duct Tape", then that would have been snarky. My point was not to inflame, but to ascertain that lest my "understanding" be misconstrued, I don't think my position changed much from using one statistic over another. As I said earlier, I don't think I minimized the issue nearly as much as some have inflated the same.

NetDoc and I PM'd - I think we now see eye-to-eye on this. Just one of those problems where simple text can't convey motives well.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

No problem. While NetDoc is the grand poobah... I am the stats guy. I'm in sales and marketing, and know our stats, as that's my job. Forgive Pete for citing the stat posted on our forum homepage.

Your stats were very helpful, Howard. Thanks for having them available so quickly.

As long as we have the powers that be eliminating certain smileys because, among the many various things folks can and/ or have used them to emote, are a few uses that may be less than flattering to some, could I get support for eliminating automobiles from the roadways of America, because every now and then some yahoo turns left right in front of my motorcycle?
:gas:

It is sad that sometimes it becomes obvious that there are folks who are so thin skinned that they have to over react to any negativity toward them at all, and inflict their personal prejudices and anger on the rest of us, just to prove that they have that power.
:tinkerbell:

I love the way this place is structured.

There is even a valid place for social comment and dissent. This is important and not to be forgotten.

:serious:

I am going on the record stating that I do not understand the reason behind the smilie deletion but could care less anyways.

I typed :popcorn: before and I will type :popcorn: now. Nothing has changed except how it displays. As for the amount of moderation......from most of the moderators it is great. Some staffers/moderators/advisors/admins (I really have no idea what to call the lot of people) are great and some are rude to the readership and as unfriendly as any smilie. Some do a good job and some abuse their powers. Some have good days, some have bad days. Change nothing! Change everything! Who cares. Whatever happens, happens. I do suggest you keep the rude staffers though because it is nice to be able to picture the high horse when any staffer claims that a single (or group of) poster(s) is being too mean or harsh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom