Model Release

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
If you take a picture, lets say at the beach, of a person that is in an interesting natural pose would you need a model release from them if the picture turns out interesting??

Editorial usage: magazines, newspapers etc No

Advertising: yes
But these days that sort of stuff is becoming blurred and its always best to have one, that way if you have the chance to use that photo for a coke commercial 10 years hence you have the release

Thanks Mike :wink:

So, for now, to show and share is ok?
What about a photo contest?

Show and share no problem, think of newspapers, very few of those people in photos have signed releases.

Photo contests i am not entirely sure about.
However, if the person is not completely recognizable then don't worry about it

If it's a picture of the Person. You would need a release. If a picture of a sunset with a person in it, or a market with people there.... Probably not. But, if they ask you to take the pic down. They have a case against you if you don't... Maybe not a good case. But still lawyers-MONEY....

Best to carry releases and just ask them to sign them. Explain to them you don't want to get in trouble down the road. They'll usually sign. Unless they're Naked...LOL

I've gotten releases and had people later come tell me they were going to sue me... They wanted more money.... Yet at the time of the pic.... They were new to modeling and learning... TFP... I remind them of the release and give them a copy and they say there getting a lawyer... Never hear from them again...LOL

Cameron Diaz in the topless video comes to mind. She's mad after she makes it big. Yet, without doing jobs like that. She probably wouldn't have gotten the exposure.. Oh well...

Yes, Cameron Diaz got the exposure!

My understanding is that if the individual is not recognizable, or is in a group of people rather than being the sole focus, you are okay without a model release. Given my photograp[hic skills, most of my subjects are unrecognizable after I take the picture anyway.

Dr. Bill

The one is a woman in a crowd.
The other pic, I was at the beach taking pictures and a little girl came up to me and kept trying to get in the picture - I took one and now that I dl'd it it looks good - the parents were no where in site....

At least over here if the person is at public place you don't need a release. Public place is a place where anyone can get to. For example a restaurant can be taken as a public place.. but then again restaurants and clubs can ask their customers to leave cameras in reception. So if you take a picture of someone at the beach for example you don't need a release from the person to publice it. At least that's the way it goes over here. Don't know if you have different laws in Hawaii but ofcourse you can share it with us if it looks good :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom