Moalboal Cebu sardines in August 25, 2012 time range

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came back from Moalboal this past weekend and loved every second of it. I stayed at Savedra Resort and the dive center is literally right across the street (dirt alley). I spoke with a semi-resident videographer while I was there who was extremely knowledgable about the area. Supposedly the sardines do migrate but they have not come back this year. The school was said to be enormous and judging by his videos I saw he is right. Rumors around the area think they were netted at another island..who knows. With or without the sardines I'm going back. The area I stayed was small, quiet, had some minor nightlife, good food and great dives. I did see about 16 turtles in the 2 days i was there. Going to Pescador Island is a must.

As for whale sharks I agree with other posters. Sad to say when I first came here I had to go see and will never go back. There were 3 sharks being fed and surrounded by about 30 boats with numerous people in the water. Diving was a waste since they are always at the surface being fed. A mask was all that was needed. After a BS lecture about how far you should stay from them (5m) the "feeders" brought them so close you had to get out of their way. I saw them get struck with paddles while I was there and they all had scars on them but obviously I could not confirm where the scars came from. The local govt in Oslob passed a law allowing them to charge foreigners double the rate of locals so the cost was 1000 pesos or $25 US dollars. I was greatly disappointed in the area and the people of Oslob and will never retrun nor will I take any visitors there

WOW..............DanCop

This is a real eye opener. I have already been to Donsol twice for a wonderful time each time with the butanding and I was hoping things had calmed down with the situation there in Oslob. Can you tell me what dates you were actually in Oslob? I am gueesing you stayed in Moalboal and was driven over in a van? I orignally was thinking of staying at the Savedra also but since thought about staying at Aaron's beach resort in Oslob. Now I am not sure what to do? Could we talk by phone together? I will message you my phone number. Or you can send me our so that I can call you.

Thanks.

The sardines left moalboal when the typhoon came at Xmas
Last person I heard reported them to be near Cebu!! I doubt they are the same
But am afraid no sardines there anymore
To see what the life is right now check out the YouTube clip of moalboal on my page
Whale sharks in oslob: I am not into that messy way of doing things and I would not encourage anybody going there
By now the poor sharks will be starving and having lost the migration pattern try will soon be finned out and eaten

Thanks interceptor121, for the update. I am not sure weather to go to moalboal or not for the butanding? I have been to moalboal twice already and dove with the sardines several times. it was a great experience. Did you have some videos of the butanging situation in Oslob? i looked at your youtube page and did not see an video listed as that?

rjjj111 as I said I don't support that way of dealing with whale sharks so I did not go having the opportunity twice as this does not look at all as happy ending for the two sharks
I have done in the past a specific whale shark trip in Djibouti and having ticked the box I was not motivated the slightest by how the locals deal with this, there are some old posts on this subfoum http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/406178-whale-sharks-cebu.html

Thanks.......Interceptor121 i am looking into seeing if i can find the sardines of moalboal, somewhere and go see them instead.........thanks.

Just as an fyi though it's probably too late, you're pretty much guaranteed to see whale sharks at Isla Mujeres in Mexico which is much closer to where you live. You can't dive with them there but you don't need to cause they will be right at the surface (wear a wetsuit or they will make you wear a lifevest). I think the whale sharks are much more protected in Mexico compared to those pictures of people grabbing onto the sharks in PI.

So many things to do in PI, not seeing the whale sharks there will only give you more time to do other things.

i went to mactan island from tiki_bill advice. the sardines or whatever they are school of fish are there as of 9-25-2012 right in from of con tiki divers location on mactan island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom