MK25's and G250v's or MK17's and A700's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not looking to get drawn into an argument on this one but I still say it's the case that a larger reg dampens or smooths out the opening and closing of the venturi on the second stage making the initial breath easier and I'd also guess making it less likely to freeflow.

Double hoses aren't really a similar system as there's no second stage or IP as such so it's not really comparing apples to apples.....

Realizing that I'm replying to a six-month old post...

I prefer the g250 over the a700 simply because I can take off the faceplate without tools and the mk25 because of hose routing, but I'd deal with the mk17 if I dived in colder water. I'd probably get the parts to make it a mk19, which is pretty sweet.

Anyone know why they stopped selling the Mk19 first stages? Is the conversion just a matter of fitting the turret, etc. from the Mk25 on a Mk17?

Anyone know why they stopped selling the Mk19 first stages? Is the conversion just a matter of fitting the turret, etc. from the Mk25 on a Mk17?

I would be interested to know this too.

I'm not looking to get drawn into an argument on this one.....

Double hoses aren't really a similar system as there's no second stage or IP as such so it's not really comparing apples to apples.....

Wow, a whole day has gone by and none of the DH crowd caught this, I guess some folks must be out of town. Anyhow, while there are some single stage double hose regs (USD mistral) the majority are two stage regulators just like single hose regs, but with the 2nd stage in the can behind the diver's head. This includes all the aquamasters and the famous voit regs based on the same internals. The fact that you don't know this somewhat basic information and yet continue to insist dubious explanations for how regulators function does not inspire a lot of confidence, please don't take any personal offense.

Again, I'm not arguing that the size of a 2nd stage has no effect on how the reg feels, but simply that it does not affect depth performance and does not lower cracking effort or WOB. You can keep insisting otherwise if you want, but that won't make it true.

As far as getting drawn into an argument, I thought that's what SB was all about? :wink:

I'm not looking to get drawn into an argument on this one but I still say it's the case that a larger reg dampens or smooths out the opening and closing of the venturi on the second stage making the initial breath easier and I'd also guess making it less likely to freeflow.

Two stage double hose regs like DAAM or RAM have a similar design with a second stage and the IP. They just have both stages in one can and there is no hose between the first and second (except for the odd new Mistral) that has a second stage mounted on IIRC Titan first and connected with a hose.

Who knows why they stopped selling it, probably it has something to do with protecting MK25 sales. That's a guess. You can't just stick a MK25 turret on a MK17, the body is totally different. I never saw a MK19; I rebuilt a few MK18s (MK16 w/turret) but that was a few years back.

They are too good may be?

Have not de seen this before with other good SP regs :(

Hi Halocline,

Indeed, I don't have much knowledge on double hose regs, nor do I have much interest in obtaining much in all honesty.

There is almost zero IP gas volume between the first and second stage of a twin hose so one again little damping between the first and second stages operating, unlike a conventional first and second stage arrangement where there is a significant volume of gas in the hose routing - hence the apples to apples comment.

No personal offense taken, I know what works for me and I guess I have made that fatal scuba board sin of spending time in the water diving over looking stuff up on the internet! Shame on me :)

Sadly a lot of people here see it as nothing but a chance for an argument, it's like a Monty Python sketch at times. At least we seem to be in agreement the G250 tends to be the better choice for the OP?

Last edited:
Karl,

do no take it too close:) As per my limited experience with halocline he knows his stuff well from real experience not just from Internet and is a great person in real life who would not argue just for the sake of arguing....:)

It's a pity that you do not want to get more knowledge of double hoses, they are great regs... and we have quite a few knowledgeable members on the board.

Hi Halocline,

Indeed, I don't have much knowledge on double hose regs, nor do I have much interest in obtaining much in all honesty.

There is almost zero IP gas volume between the first and second stage of a twin hose so one again little damping between the first and second stages operating, unlike a conventional first and second stage arrangement where there is a significant volume of gas in the hose routing - hence the apples to apples comment.

No personal offense taken, I know what works for me and I guess I have made that fatal scuba board sin of spending time in the water diving over looking stuff up on the internet! Shame on me :)

Sadly a lot of people here see it as nothing but a chance for an argument, it's like a Monty Python sketch at times. At least we seem to be in agreement the G250 tends to be the better choice for the OP?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom