MK25?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea. I have had a couple on really old regs lose some of their chrome on the edge, so I just lap sanded them with some micromesh and it worked great. It's just brass. The plastic ones I have very little experience with, thankfully.

I tried that on two of them, I think it worked as they did work after but then they started to leak which may have just meant they needed further adjustment. When I found I could buy new metal OEM orifices I just replaced them all to rule out another possible variable.

Mk20 with the black ring. Mk25 with the ribs
The first generation MK25's didn't have ribs and are hard to tell from the late MK20's. I would guess that many upgraded their MK20's both cosmetically and internally, so the only things that really differentiate the MK20 from the MK25 are the seat retainer and the piston.
mk25.jpg

The first generation MK25's didn't have ribs and are hard to tell from the late MK20's. I would guess that many upgraded their MK20's both cosmetically and internally, so the only things that really differentiate the MK20 from the MK25 are the seat retainer and the piston.
View attachment 387301

How many LP ports does this 1st gen MK25 have?

The truth of the matter is that since all parts for the Mk20 and the Mk25 are compatible, you can never be sure.

I thought about that but the cost to update and overhaul is too high, I'm paying around $70 in parts, once finished plus purchase cost. I'd need to sell for close to $100 and I don't think anyone will pay that.

I've relapsed, it's now been 6 hours since my last purchase, someone help me. Lucky it's not heroin I guess.

LOL. Simon, how did you manage to turn this thread into somewhat akin to an AA discussion?

I am sure this has been covered before in other threads, but what are the tools that you and the rest of the dark side converts use and need to service these vintage regs?

For the G250 second stage you need no special tools at all, very simple regs. You do need a flat head screwdriver to flip the adjustment knob holding clip and to adjust the orifice. Brass O ring pick and one wooden chopstick to facilitate removal of orifice. That's it, I don't think I've forgotten anything.

First stages are a bit different and although there are some recommended tools to help assembly I'm not sure if they are required. I've not yet taken one apart so I'll leave my post here so as not to give incorrect information. I'll leave any follow up to the Gurus.

I'll give a plug for Herman, one of the Gurus here, he makes and sells some first stage tools for the older models at very reasonable prices which apparently make servicing a snap. I ordered some off him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom