MK10 Ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting indeed and sorry to say a bad idea to have a hole. I wonder if this was a modification to later SPEC systems as I do not remember any other SP boots (not trim boots) having holes.
I have 3 MK10 spec boots, two older ones and one newer type. They all have a hole. By the time the MK15 came around Scubapro figured out that a softer boot with no hole was a better idea. I’ve put a piece of tape over the hole on the inside of one boot to minimize lube loss, I left one reg with hole open so I can compare how they do over time. Since I pack these regs pretty well I’m not concerned about the “air trapping” issue Scubapro mentioned back then. Their idea of packing the reg was to squeeze the grease in through one of the ambient holes after the reg was assembled and hope for the best. This certainly lead to some of the issues which made them abandon the concept.

Here is a side by side of newer style boot on left and older style boot on right. The older boot is made of a noticeably harder/stiffer plastic. Virtually zero give when you press on it whereas the newer style does bend inward a bit when pushed/squeezed. A far cry from the very flexible Atomic boots or even the relatively soft MK15/20 boots.
upload_2021-2-28_12-52-20.jpeg

Here is a side by side of newer style boot on left and older style boot on right. The older boot is made of a noticeably harder/stiffer plastic. Virtually zero give when you press on it whereas the newer style does bend inward a bit when pushed/squeezed. A far cry from the very flexible Atomic boots or even the relatively soft MK15/20 boots. View attachment 644831
The DIN reg seems unique, Love the stampings everywhere.

Learn something every day. Until now, I never thought the MK10 boot had a hole.

I like the @Angelo Farina & @raftingtigger boots. Soft, flexible, effective and no holes to be found.

Thanks. FYI I have a new addition to my downstairs bathroom. A honest-to-God manual injection molding machine (LNSTech.com PIM shooter 150A)

Thanks. FYI I have a new addition to my downstairs bathroom. A honest-to-God manual injection molding machine (LNSTech.com PIM shooter 150A)

Tigger, I am very excited for you. Either here or via email, please let me know what projects you are accomplishing with your new toy-especially if they are dive gear related.

Cheers,

Couv

I guess the stamping is not that unique, you just have to find a model produced in Europe (Italy) or from a certain date on.
Of the nine MK10 (Plus) I sold in the last months, only three didn't have that stamping.......
Must be random, I purchased one from Spain, yolk a little chunkier but no stampings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom