MJ850 - cheap. Too good to be true?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MJ-850 is not known for for flooding!
I have sold a lot of these lights and just one was flooded.
The silver Ring at the front glas was not screwed tightly. Not a fault of the light, but of the quality control.
But there is an other issue. You should check wether your PCB is green or blue.
The old one is blue and caused a big headache to me. It is always the same part on the blue PCB that goes defective. None of the new green PCBs went defective yet.
But I am talking only about lights that were sold by my company.

P.S.: If you can not remove the head from the body then the PCB will probably be green.

Cheers,
Michael

Of course.
Every piece is available as spare part.
I sometimes write here in this forum, but as you can see I am located in Germany.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi micbu,

You should have responded earlier... as in before I sent the thing to China :wink:

I probably would have been able to repair the lamp myself.

Can I already order a PCB with you, just to be sure that when (/IF) the lamp returns I have some vital spares?:D

Thanks for sharing, though!

Cheers,

Maurice

oh, and my pcb was green, indeed...

Hi Maurice,

You have mail.

I have just read your blog about the defective light. That sounds like the always defective part of the old blue PCB. You can not turn off the light, it shines always at about 5%. I will insert a picture this evening, then you can compare the new and the old PCB. I think, despite the green colour, you have an old PCB.
There is an other method to check whether you have an old or a new PCB.
Turn the silver ring from off via the different modes to full power within 1s.
If you have a strobe mode, it is the old PCB if there is no strobe mode, then you have the new PCB. The strobe mode is not mentioned in the instructions, but the old PCBs should all have that functionality.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hello Micbu,

How would you tighten the front silver bezel? Do you also sell parts for MJ850's little brother, the MC-E "ugly" light? Mine won't turn on and the batteries are full.

Do you mean the silver ring of the 850 or the bezel of the 810? You need a special tool for the 850. If you do not have this tool then you can use an open scissor.
Spare parts for 810 are also available. I know that many shops just want to sell complete lights, but that is not my mentality. Every single piece MUST be available.

This is a pic of the 850 old PCB with broken part.
mj850.jpg

This is a picture of the new PCB. The broken part of the old version does not exist at all anymore.
dscf6945m.jpg

Michael

Hey Michael, how much are we looking at for the 810 or 850 replacement PCB?

The price for a 810 replacement PCB is 9€ (13$), a 850 replacement PCB costs 12€ (17$)

Michael

Back
Top Bottom