Mixing brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanSpirit

Reaction score
I have been advised on numerous occasions by dive retailers that they will not supply a 1st stage from one manufacturer and a 2nd stage from another as a complete set-up. They normally claim that the two units are especially 'tuned' to one another and mixing brands is *very* inadvisable. Is this the case? I am considering trying an Apeks 2nd stage with my Oceanic DX4 as I trashed my Delta reg recently. I like the DX4 very much but don't want to spend out on a complete Apeks rig. What are your thoughts, people?

My thoughts in slightly less than random order

Thought 1

try and keep your first stage and primary second stage from the same manufacturer
Reasons
i) They are designed to go together,
ii) there will be some loss of performance I suspect if you don't
iii) Why buy a top of the line (eg Apeks) second stage and put a POS first stage with it? it is kindof stupid if you ask me. Ist stage is probably more important than second, but both are important for good overall performance.

Thought 2
You can get away with guages from any manufacturer
Reasons?
i) Tank pressure is tank pressure. All guages that measure it, will measure it on any first stage
ii) All guages and HP ports have a 3/8 UNF thread - no problems with fixings

Thought 3
Your octopus is a get out of goal card, any second stage that works is good!
reasons
i) most manufacturers have an IP of about 10 Bar, so in theory any second stage should work, so there might be some loss of performance, but it will work

HTH

Jon T

Gauge hose fittings are 7/16 UNF, not 3/8.
There is no reason you can't use different brands of 1st and 2nd stages as long as the 2nd is adjusted to the 1st. As you say, it they have significantly different performance qualities, it makes no sense to do so, but it's not dangerous.

The retailer probably thinks there is a liability issue with selling "mis-matched" gear. I don't know if this is true or not. In any case, I'd save your pennies until you can afford the whole Apex reg.

Neil

I need to get Corsair to come in and comment on this thread.

When he purchased his gear, the LDS created some "Franken-regulators" that mixed an Atomic 2st stage with a Apollo first (I think it's an apollo).

Anyway, let me get him in here so he can fill you in on his experience...

Neil hit it on the head. It's just more dive industry bunk. Liability is probably the right answer.

Originally posted by BetterLateThannever
Just had to say hello to turnerjd.
Haven't seen you around the board in a while. Welcome back.

BLT

Work pressure has kept my posting down to a minimum over the last few weeks (although I have managed a few here and there!)

Never fear, Even if I am just lurking a bit 'cos I don't have time to post, I read things every day!

JOn T

It is very possible to mix different brands of regulator 1st and 2nd stages. Manufacturers though would discourage you from doing this for some obvious reasons:

1) Manufacturers of regs have their own particular standards. Although they conform certain manufacturing standards, they put in proprietary features that would work best with their own line of regs. So, mixing different brands might give you a good or bad result. In this area you should do your own math. You have to do a lot of research on the different specifications of the regs you intend to mix. Unless you know what your doing, I strongly suggest you leave it to trained technicians who knows well about these regs.
2) Warranties. Putting in anything other than the manufacturers recommendations might void it, especiallly anything that might contribute to the failure of operation of the regs.
3) Liability. Manufacturers wouldnt want anything bad to happen to you while your using their equipment. God forbid! They wouldnt like to be responsible for you especially if you screw up and fiddle with their equipment beyond their specifications or recommendations!

For your info I have mixed a lot of regs from Scubapro, Poseidon, Atomic, Aqualung with varying results. Again you have to do your own math here. Lots of trial and errors, experiments and adjustments. I mix regs only for my specific diving needs. Do these first in a controlled environment. Have a backup system, whether on equipment or someone else.

When I bought my first regulator setup, the LDS set me up with a cheap US Divers first stage and second stage and an expensive Oceanic Delta octopus. I was told to dive using the Delta while using the US Divers reg as my octopus. It worked fine and I had no problems with air delivery even at 120 feet. So yes you can mix and match first and second stages.

As the proud owner of a "Franken-Reg" rig, I thought I might weigh in here!

The set that I currently dive is:

First stage: Apollo with the Bio Filter
Primary Second: Atomic Aquatics Titanium B1
Octo: Apollo Prestige EX2000 (on a Mares hose!)

When we decided we were ready to buy, the owner at my LDS gave us a quick course on regulator anatomy (piston vs diaphragm) including pros and cons of each as well as explaining his personal preference. He then gave us a walk through of the different regs available. When we started talking about what we wanted, he offered us a nice deal on the setup above. As he explained it, the technology is the same, the fittings and sizes are standard, and how would the air know if it is going through one manufacturer's equipment or another's?

Bottom line, if you like the features of one company's first stage and another's second, there is no conceivable reason you couldn't buy them separately. Most shops don't display them that way, but if that's what YOU want to spend YOUR money on then so be it. You are the customer, after all.

Personally, I couldn't be happier with the equipment I got. And, in case any skeptics were wondering, the Mares Abyss was the "shop special", not the Atomic or Apollo :wink:

Back
Top Bottom