Question Mix and Match Brands for BC air source?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crawlin95

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve read I’d some issues mixing brands for a primary and octo.

I have an APEKS XTX 50 and want to use either an atomic SS1 or a Mares safe second air source integrated with my BC.

Any issue mixing these?

FTR - you won't get a lot of positive feedback around SB regarding combo octo-inflators....

I’ve read I’d some issues mixing brands for a primary and octo.

I have an APEKS XTX 50 and want to use either an atomic SS1 or a Mares safe second air source integrated with my BC.

Any issue mixing these?
as said above, you won't get any love for Air McDoodles.

While mixing and matching is not an issue from a functionality standpoint, consider the convenience of service and potentially having to go to two different shops if you mismatch. If you are adamant about an Air McDoodle, then use the Aqualung Airsource which will at least be serviced in the same shop as the Apeks

SS1 is an excellent choice and you can easily screw it off and replace it with a Zeagle BX inflator, also need a plug in adaptor to reduce the big air hose fitting to fit the BX.

as said above, you won't get any love for Air McDoodles.

While mixing and matching is not an issue from a functionality standpoint, consider the convenience of service and potentially having to go to two different shops if you mismatch. If you are adamant about an Air McDoodle, then use the Aqualung Airsource which will at least be serviced in the same shop as the Apeks
Thanks, my shop services and sells all three of the brands so shouldn’t be an issue there.

Thanks, my shop services and sells all three of the brands so shouldn’t be an issue there.
That's really the main concern. As long as you can get them all serviced, it should be good. I use a Zeagle Octo-Z. Given your choices, I'd recommend the SS1 over the Mares. Mainly because it comes with the BX coupler. I used to despise cleaning the inside of the BC bladder. The BX makes it simple.

I'm reminded of this when I dive with one of my regular buddies. While he's working on cleaning the deck of my boat, I help cleaning the gear. He has a Scubapro, so the dump doesn't unscrew easily. Filling through the oral inflator is a PITA.

From what I understand at a rudimentary level, the 2nd stage demand lever and poppet mechanism etc are finely tuned to match the IP levels supplied by the 1st stage for the right cracking pressure. Mixing brands or even other 1/2 stage combinations from the same brand might make ease of breathing harder with unoptimised flow levels of air.

Other more knowledgeable members can clarify…

From what I understand at a rudimentary level, the 2nd stage demand lever and poppet mechanism etc are finely tuned to match the IP levels supplied by the 1st stage for the right cracking pressure. Mixing brands or even other 1/2 stage combinations from the same brand might make ease of breathing harder with unoptimised flow levels of air.

Other more knowledgeable members can clarify…
The second only knows the pressure not the brand of first, you tune the second to what ever IP you have or the tune the first to the IP you want.

I mixed a Aeris Oceans 5 BC with a ScubaPro Air2 so I could lose the traditional octopus. After an incident where our SiL had a moment of panic and realizing how short both the Air2 and primary regulator hoses were, I went back to a traditional octopus.

My .02 cents, if you want a 3rd alternate, great, go for it, but keep the traditional octopus and buy a nice clip to keep it off the reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom