Info MIT Tech Review Article: Deep Diving on Hydrogen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty sure he was as conservative as he felt was necessary.

I haven't looked at this material since I started the earlier hydrogen thread here in November, which is why I framed some of this as questions. I've been following Harris since the Thai cave rescue, and earlier dives w/Craig Challen at the Pearse Resurgence. So I get why that's sort of a comfort zone for him now, to the extent that such a thing is possible. And I absolutely do admire him- very much so. But having read and listened to him, I think "conservative" is a word he’d use very sparingly, if it all, to describe the hydrogen trial.

@drrich2 : this will give you an idea of the problem : hydrogen + 5%O2 = big kaboom !
Well, err, seemingly not. If I am not mistaken the article states that Harry tried 7% and..................no kaboom.

I think "conservative" is a word he’d use very sparingly, if it all, to describe the hydrogen trial.
I agree there were definitely some risky moments, lol. The RB4 video backs up your sentiment as well. However, cutting edge is seldom a walk in the park. Anyone else giving it a go while being less cautious than he was... likely wouldn't have ended well.

I agree there were definitely some risky moments, lol. The RB4 video backs up your sentiment as well.

I signed up for a trial GUE.tv subscription last fall, because it was the only way I could watch the RB4 presentation about the hydrogen dive when it first came out. :wink:

Well, err, seemingly not. If I am not mistaken the article states that Harry tried 7% and..................no kaboom.

Yeah, read that myself, but 7% was the limit stated in articles I read some years ago about Comex experimental dives with hydreliox : Hydra VIII (530 m in the Med, not in a chamber). They were so prudent when mixing the gaz, that the room where the technicians made the mix was saturated with N2 to prevent any explosion. The techs wore special breathing equipment in that room.

It seems 5% was very conservative, still, there's not much of an error margin.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom