Mistake thread......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thepurplehammerhead . . . I can just envision myself in the same situation, with my husband bending over and saying every so sweetly, "And a BP/W is better WHY?"

DallasNewbie:
On one day when my wife stayed back at the hotel, I grabbed one of her booties and one of mine while throwing my gear in the boat bag. Not only was her bootie two sizes too small for me, but they were both for the same foot!

I have a pair of reef shoes which are the same color as my booties, on more than one occasion I have placed one of each into the boat bag when getting ready to go out. The reef shoes won't fit in the fin pockets, but that usually doesn't matter since I usually get the same foot on both. I even once did this before a trip and had to borrow fins for the whole trip.

It was my first dive in a dry suit. On with the woolly bear, then the rubber suit, tight over the head, then the gloves. BC and tank, fins, then the weight and so much weight. All the time listening to the instructions, keep your feet low, air goes in hear and out on your arm.

Out into the Austrian lake, the water is cold but visibility is quite good. I am being very careful, just a little air in the suit at a time to control buoyancy.

Everything is fine until we reach the wreck at about 5 metres. I feel myself start to float up, all my instructions forgotten I reach down and grab the side of the boat. Immediately all the air in my dry suit departs from my arms, chest etc, and heads for the surface. Only to fill up the legs of my drysuit. There I am doing a handstand on the side of the boat with my legs looking like Michelin man.
Once the instructors stopped laughing they turned me the right way up again.

Why don’t dry suits have a dump valve at your ankles?

Some used to, but I think it was a pain in the *** with fins - not that I've ever experienced ankle vents.

It was the last in water test of my IE, the skill I had to evaluate was a five point controlled descent. When I went under so the evaluator could give my fellow soon to be instructors their problems for this skill I went down with my snorkle in. The examiner didn't see but the other guys sure did. Made me laugh because that was one of the problems they were assigned.

A night dive in a cove in Massachusetts. I was sort of tagging along with a group. I'd already had quite a few dives in this cove including night dives. Relatively shallow dive. Vis between 5 and 15 feet during the course of the dive.

We were on the way back to shore when I became separated from the group.

I covered my light and managed to spot some faint light glows off in the distance. I thought I knew where I was and the light glows were in the generally correct direction. My depth was relatively shallow and I believed I was fairly close to shore at this time. So, I surfaced to confirm that I was in fact where I thought I was. Happily, I was precisely where I thought I was. And I could see the divers standing in the water at the shore.

I made my way over to them and started chatting about the dive. Then I realized I'd never seen any of them before in my life. :06:

OOPS!

About 50 yards away on the shore I noticed another group of divers surfacing and exiting the water. There's my group. Off I went to join them.... :11doh:

Soon after my GF got certified we were diving off my sailboat in the kelp beds. Since it has a high freeboard we stage off of an inflatable, when you surface you take of your weight belt and throw it in the dingy, then take off your BC and tie it off before climbing the ladder. She tried to reversed that order. She was 3 feet underwater when I dove in and took her belt off.

Best one of mine that I remember; I was diving with a borrowed BC and the tank came loose. (nylon straps.. mine are SS). I put my spare air in and removed everything at depth, got it straightened out and put back on, and spit the spare air out to switch back to the primary. Never did find that spare air!

Red Vette:
Jodi
Almost everybody does that on the boats in SoCa, don't feel bad

Not just in SoCa, but anywhere that you set up on a seat. I've done that on Blackbeard, Nekton, etc. Almost guarenteed to do it once a livaboard.

Lets see what else. Jumped in without weight pockets, relief zipper open, air off(somebody shut off for me, should always check). Forgot to bring Regs, BC, Drysuit, fins, not all at the same time.

OK, there are three that I remember. The rest I kind of choose to forget.

I was DM for an open water class. The first dive I wore a 3 mil, but decided to change to a 7 mil suit for the second dive. I probably should have worn it on the first dive. Anyway, I forgot to add those few extra pounds to adjust for the buoyancy differences between the 3 mil and 7 mil suits. No problem for about the first 30 minutes then I had to start looking for rocks to stuff in my BCD.

My wife and I went to meet some friends at a local site. We put our kit together then she turned to me and asked me to fetch her wetsuit. My response - I thought that she had packed them. The water temp was about 75F so we thought that we would give it a try in our swimsuits and t-shirts. It was a shallow dive and I managed about an hour. Forgot that I did not have another shirt with me. Looked like a fool when we went to the local truck stop although I did get a nice new shirt.

My wife could not make it to a dive we planned with a group, but I went anyway. Our fins are the same type, and same color. You guessed it, I had one large and one small fin. I managed to stuff my foot into the small fin, but it was not the most comfortable dive. We now have different fins.

My first post-certification dive was a night dive in Dominica (after I had just finished my certification dives). We were diving in a large group of friends with two dive guides, so it was not a risky move. My girlfriend and I planned to be dive buddies. We're bobbing in the water before the dive, and just as she starts to descend one of the dive guides came over to me and told me to be buddies with him since he knew that I was a newbie. My girlfriend was already under and didn't hear this.

So, I spent the entire night dive with the gf on my left and the dive guide on my right, both constantly checking to see if I was OK, and acting peeved that I wasn't paying complete attention to them. Back and forth, back and forth, neither realizing that the other was demanding my attention. After about 15 minutes, and in only about 25 ft of water, I gave the thumbs-up surface sign. We all 3 get to the surface and both buddies are worried and ask what is wrong. I told them that everything is OK and explained that they are both expecting me to watch them and they are pulling me back and forth. We went back down and had a perfectly nice dive at the beautiful Champagne dive site. On the boat afterwards, it all made sense and was pretty funny, but at the time it was annoying as heck.

Back
Top Bottom