Missing Scuba Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just recently had an interesting experience with scuba gear received from a "friend of a friend" type situation.

Do tanks have any type of serial number that can be traced?

It's actually possible to trace tanks by their serial number, however, it would require cooperation from the distributor and dealer. You might try contacting the distributor and see if they can tell you what dealer sold the tanks.

Terry

Universal Diver:
I have recently come across two tanks that I got from a friend, who got them from a friend. I won't describe them but I was wondering if anyone has had any stolen from them in the past, say year or so?

I would love to get the VIP on these and use them but if they were aquired the wrong way, then I wouldn't mind returning them to their rightful owner.

It just seems strange that my friend, who doesn't dive, was given two tanks from his friend who doesn't dive either.

If you are missing two tanks, please PM me with a detailed description of them.

I will give this a couple of weeks because they are screaming to get into the water!

I hope I don't hear from anyone about this.

Chris

Universal Diver:
Wow, nobody yet. Ask around your diving circles. I looked all over them and there aren't any names (sorry Dr. Bill).

I would like to get them VIP'ed before my next dive on September 4th, unless someone claims them.

Chris
Did they have old VIP stickers on them? Drop by that dive shop that VIP'ed em & ask them about it. Nice you are doing this.

No VIP stickers on them. In fact, the last hydro was a bazillion years ago. I took them in today for their VIP and Hydro. That's the good news, the bad news is I won't get them back for a couple of weeks! I wanted to use them this weekend!

So now I need to get a couple tanks for the September 4th SB'er dive!

Aloha Universal,
The videographer on my boat had tanks stolen less than a year ago. She asked me about your posting here on SB and your email address so she can send you the pics of her tanks that were stolen. Would you mind sending me a PM with your email address so I can forward it to her --- and she can email you the pics of her tanks.

Being out of hydro tells me that these tanks are probably not hers, but the photo will tell it all.
Mahalo,
Matthew J D'Avella

Chris, if I am able to make it Monday I can get us tanks for $3 each............let me know if you are interested. Later brahda, Jason aka myspace Jason aka Got Scuba, aka Da Wolf aka Got Manta.....you get the drift.

Cool stuff Jason. The big question is IF you can make it. I know you gotta take your wife to the airport. I am able to get some tanks for me but get a couple for you if you can go.

What about Sunday? Sharks Cove? You lead...

Chris

Universal Diver:
What about Sunday? Sharks Cove? You lead...

Chris

Chris, you think you would want to do Sharks Cove around lunchtime on Monday after Trench. I have to take the wife to the airport at 10:30 and will head to Sharks Cove afterwards to be there by noon. That's about how my schedule is rolling right now........bummer I know. Let me know......

If the hydro was local the retesters number should be traceable, and his test log should give clue who brought them in. The retesters list is available on the DOT website.

BTW I have about a dozen aluminum tanks, but have only bought 2. The rest were "gifts" from those eithr leaving the sport, of going where the tanks would be unusable. US tanks aren't accepted in several other countries, and their tanks aren't accepted here. Slightly different "rules" are applied to hazardous materials containters that are mutually exclusive. "Free" tanks aren't necesarily hot.

Back
Top Bottom