missing night diver off koloa landing, kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haumana ronin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Rescue crews search for missing scuba diver off Kauai - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Rescue crews search for missing scuba diver off Kauai

POIPU, KAUAI (HawaiiNewsNow) -The Kauai Fire Department (KFD) is assisting in a multi-agency search for a missing scuba diver in Poipu.

KFD personnel responded to a call at 1:35 a.m. Monday that three men had been scuba diving off of Koloa Landing, and one of the men was missing. It was not known how long the third diver had been missing.

The diver's light was recovered in shallow water just offshore.

The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) assisted with a helicopter search while fire personnel conducted a shoreline search throughout the night.

As of Monday morning, USCG has deployed a helicopter and a boat to the search. KFD continues its shoreline efforts while divers search via Radon 1. Nine firefighters and five lifeguards are involved in the effort.

Wow, I am sure hoping for the best. I have dived that site many times and in fact got my OW certification there. It is a long way to very deep water and most of the stuff to see is pretty close in. I have not night dived it but it would seem to be a pretty straight forward one other than the greasy slick landing itself. The condo complex right next to it should provide a pretty good navigation landmark from the surface.

Body recovered in waters off Kauai - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
POIPU, KAUAI (HawaiiNewsNow) - A United States Coast Guard (USCG) team has recovered what is believed to be the body of a scuba diver who went missing early this morning.
The search, which was conducted by USCG and the Kauai Fire Department (KFD), began around 1:35 a.m. Monday. It involved a coast guard helicopter and cutter, along with a KFD search boat and shoreline search team.
The man's body was found floating face-down roughly one-mile offshore of Brennecke's beach. The victim was brought to shore by the coast guard vessel.
The Kauai Police Department is responding to the scene to identify the victim and to notify next of kin.
The missing man was diving with two other men last night off of Koloa Landing when his companions reported that he was unaccounted for.
Responding fire personnel discovered his dive light in shallow shoreline waters. The search was ongoing throughout the night and this morning.

Back
Top Bottom