Missing DM??? Not sure real or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw the rescue orange boat south past Residencias Reef Condo this morning around 8 am and then again north while on a catamaran day sailing around 10 am. When I asked the mates on the boat they said they were looing for a missing DM. I have no information except what has already been stated. Just wondering if anyone else has any information. Might be totally false - just checking.

Yikes. Lots hope they were pulling you leg.

From Por Esto

Reported disappearance of a diver

COZUMEL, May 3 .- A diver was lost in the reef area of Cozumel. The report indicates that he was diving near Paso del Cedral.
Almost at the drop of information came the diver who had strayed already late this afternoon, apparently had gone with two to three known to dive in the southern part of the island.
According to reports, an initials M.A, was introduced to the sea accompanied by two friends, but only he failed to emerge, so they were looking for him in the sea with the team of diver but they did not find it and they Proceeded to give part to the Naval Station of Search and Rescue.
It transcended that it has initiated a protocol of search, but to be very late, no longer gave time to continue with the natural light, And it would be until Thursday that work would continue in the area where a possible perimeter was established to try to locate it.
The Port Captaincy was not aware of the loss because the search party is now the naval station with its fast boats.

While they probably will never admit to this, but Divemasters are not scuba gods. Even DMs have bad days. And some days are worse than others.

I hope they find their missing diver safe...but if it is already in the paper it mostlikely is too late :(

Any update on this?

Jay

I can confirm it's a local expert diver, an only son, a part time taxi driver who is missing. The two divers he was with were able to escape the downwelling and he is presumed to have been unable to. Search is ongoing.

Difficult news.
Cameron

Peace be with his family. I hope they find comfort in knowing he left doing something he surely loved.

The down currents around Cozumel are not discussed nearly as much as they should be, nor are newbies warned or trained to deal with them. Read: current

I, frankly, don't accept that only a down current took the life of a "expert" DM. I have been in a whole bunch of down currents since 1992 (especially this time of year) and it is a pretty simple thing to deal with if you are prepared. I also hope that all DMs will include solutions to this in their dive briefings, but maybe not. Perhaps we ought to have a thread about that on this forum.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Back
Top Bottom