Missing Divers - Komodo National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the Komodo dragons are on the islands of Komodo (west of Tatawa Besar) and, I think, Rinca (south of Tatawa Besar), both of which are part of the usual "dive Komodo" plan
Harmless I trust?!

Just in from CNN.com - Great news!

Missing divers found alive on Indonesian island

JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- Five Europeans who did not return from a diving trip in Indonesia Thursday were found alive Saturday morning, a search official said.

The waters around the Komodo National Park are plagued by strong currents.

The group was found at Mantaolan, which is on the island of Rinca off Komodo National Park, the head of the rescue team said.

The husband of one of the divers said he was told they were in good condition, although dehydrated.

"I'm just so relieved," said Mats Kohler, whose wife is Helena Neva Lainen. They are both from Sweden.

An official said they were being taken to a hospital for examination.

Searchers using boats located the missing divers at 11 a.m. Saturday (11 p.m. ET Friday), the official said.

They arrived at a hospital in Labuan Bajo, on the western tip of the island of Flores, about two hours later, an official said.

They were one of two groups of divers who entered the water off Komodo National Park Thursday and were supposed to be gone for an hour, said an employee of the dive company, Reef Seekers. The second group came back after the hour passed but the first group failed to resurface, she said.

Earlier, an official with the Komodo Divers Association said the group that returned comprised six snorkelers.

The missing included one British man and four women -- two from Great Britain, one from France and one from Sweden. Among those who went missing was one of the owners of the dive company, Kathleen Mitchinson, the employee said.

The seas that the divers were in are known to be dangerous because of their strong tides, and that's one theory being investigated in the divers' disappearance, the employee said.

Well, Thank God they were found. Good news!

Just heard the news on the Saturday morning BBC news. Great to hear they have been found! Hope all are OK.

I'm listening to the BBC Indonesian correspondent who is just reporting.

She has spoken to the husband of the dive guide. This is what she reported on BBC based on that conversation. 8:00am London time Saturday.

The group surfaced together slight ahead of their planned bottom time. The boat was busy picking up another group of divers. They encountered a very strong surface current that quickly carried them away.

They drifted for about 8 hours before reaching an island. They spent 2 nights on the beach of this island (didn't catch the name) before local fishermen found them.

All divers are reported to be in good health -- dehydrated but OK aside from that.

Clearly this is one of the first reports based on reported conversations with relatives of the group. Details could change or updated as those involved begin to share their experience directly.

Hip Hip HooRAY! Great news! It appears they were missing for about 48 hours from the news reports. They went missing on Thursday and were found on Saturday.

This is the seventh "diver(s) missing" incident since March reported on SB, incidents that involved being swept away. Using the reports available, two incidents were floating (or missing) for 3 hours, and one incident each for 7 hours, 19 hours, 22 hours, 48 hours, and 60 hours. The times may not be exact due to reporting inaccuracies, but it certainly has caught my attention. I'm going to need a scuba sherpa to haul all the emergency survival gear I want to take diving now to minimize the time in the water should something similar happen to me and the wife.

Glad this one turned out as it did.

Great news. Incidents like these make me think that an EPRB is basic safety equipment.

8:46am Saturday (London)

BBC Breakfast news presenters just reported they had spoken to the parents of diver Charlotte Allin. She said they were adrift about 12 hours before one of the group sighted land. They all then swam to the island where they spent 2 nights.

She told her family she was exhausted and dehydrated and had some cuts and bruises but otherwise was fine.

Currents are ridiculously strong there...You can get pulled away in a hurry. The only plus that I can think of is that if they were able to surface, there are sooooo many small islands, it shouldn't be that much of a task to find somewhere to get out of the water. In the 40 some dives I've done there, I don't ever recall not being able to see some island nearby.

Did you know you made the national press in the UK with that quote?

Fears grow for British divers missing off Bali | UK news | The Guardian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom