Missing Divers - Komodo National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder who will be the first to accuse these guys of faking their adventure to make money?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3586876-post103.html

Can't believe the Guardian is pulling quotes off webforums, especially when it has so recently been demonstrated the person they are quoting jumps to conclusions and repeats false information, like missing divers carrying "shark repellent devices" when they were not.

Dude...seriously....GET A HOBBY! GO DIVING!

How classic for a "reporter" to take a quote from a discussion board and present it as fact.
It is a fact. I checked - she certainly did say that although I guess you could argue that her account could have been hacked and someone else said it.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

That is too funny! I've never seen anyone quote from an internet forum!!!

... makes ya wonder if they're scanning The Pub for their political content ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... makes ya wonder if they're scanning The Pub for their political content ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:rofl3:
It may not be any more factual than the rags being produced today, but definitely more entertaining.
:D

It is a fact. I checked - she certainly did say that although I guess you could argue that her account could have been hacked and someone else said it.

I am calling the journalistic style into question. Shouldn't reputable reporters check out their sources? It seems she was never notified nor checked out by the reporter. Just imagine how other other articles are created and take them with a grain a salt. I bet this quote is accurate, but it seems to violate good journalistic practice IMO. What if the source falsely represents him/her self? I bet this happens more than most realize.

AZ

I'm also very glad that Kath and the other divers are safe and sound - I've been diving with Reefseekers on 2 seperate trips to Indonesia, and always found them to be highly professional.

For what its worth, here's a photo taken off Tatawa Kecil which shows some of the currents that occur there - the boat (engines off) was being swept along by this current at a fast rate while we watched the dolphins, and I can easily see why a group could be swept out of hailing distance in a short time.

S_Komodo_currents_Dolphin.jpg

This has made me think. I was almost lost as well this March in Sulawesi, Indonesia. The point is, it could have so easily turned out very differently and has got me thinking about what kind of technology could be implemented to solve this problem. OK EPIRB's are one solution, but not ideal in many ways. Some kind of two way radio/GPS communication system which can send your position seems like a potential solution... in any case, I intend to solve this because it happens too often.

Hand held 5 watt Li-on powered VHF radio with International capabilities and 5-14 mile range (West Marine, Radio Shack - $150) and an OtterBox rated to 100 feet ($20).

Instant communication with the dive boat if VHF equipped, which most are .....priceless.

No GPS in the VHF yet, but I'm sure its coming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom