Missing Divers - Komodo National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's amazing. Topside, it looks so innocuous!

Visual markers may last century but considering, that electronics 1) do not like water 2) do not stand up to depth 3) fail on their own 4) can be expensive, 5) need batteries, 6) are hopefully not need very often etc. I think you will find that few people carry electronic beacons. As such, it pays to have a full range of signal devices.

A on land equivalent are twits who go out with only a GPS and have no clue how to use a map and compass.

Certainly a wide array of signal devices is advisable, however, when we were on the Galapagos Aggressor in January, we were provided with EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) Devices. In the event of being swept off by currents (also a distinct possibility in the Galapagos) you can deploy this device and the boat can come straight to you via their locator on board. We'll be on the Komodo Dancer next week and I've got a call into them to see if they are also using these things. If the current has this sort of potential on a regular basis, I can't understand why these aren't standard issue in Komodo.

This news is just awful. I'll be in Komodo in October, and had corresponded with Kath about using Reefseekers. I hope that they're all found soon, safe and sound.

Peter -- the Komodo dragons are on the islands of Komodo (west of Tatawa Besar) and, I think, Rinca (south of Tatawa Besar), both of which are part of the usual "dive Komodo" plan.

I had the pleasure of diving with Reefseekers, Kath and her team least year. They know Komodo better than anyone. They are incredibly passionate about the marine park and have a reputation as by far the most safe and professional operator on Flores. As everyone whos been to Komodo knows though, no matter how experienced and knowledgeable you are, Komodo's currents can sneak up on you in an instant. It really is an amazing, and lets face it, treacherous destination. It's also vast and remote and has very limited resources.
They've been gone a long time now but I hope they will still be found safe and sound. This will be plaguing my mind all day. Best of luck to the search...

BBC World TV News had just in their breaking news that the 5 divers have been found alive.

Not much other details available right now.

just got this from my friend there...

"Hi,
all five missing divers were found this morning alive near South of Komodo. That's all what we know for now. They are on the way to Labuan Bajo by speedboat.

Damn good news... time for a G&T old boy..:wink:

And just to illuminate how badly the press sensationalise events based on very little facts see this British tabloid rag report how it was "feared" they had been "attacked by sharks". By whom I wonder... They even have a Tiger Shark photo on the page even though I have never even heard of any pelagic sharks where they were diving. Triaenodon Obesus, maybe. Shark attack would be the last worry on the rescuer's mind I can tell you.

Shark attack fears as three British divers go missing off Bali | Mail Online

Beware hyperbole...

I'm obviously glad that this seems to have had a happy ending, but that isn't the point. It could so easily NOT have.

Komodo's currents can sneak up on you in an instant
All the more reason for the staff, DM's and boat captains, to take extra precautions to ensure they WILL be able to track divers. If the staff know how treacherous the area is then there is a clear obligation on them.

I don't believe in accidents, just unforeseen consequences of actions. The very FACT that these divers were lost means that the dive op WASN'T in control.

Sorry to be so blunt, and I'd welcome some input from this dive operation. They are the professionals on the spot and their guests are amateurs depending on the operation for their safety. It seems they were badly let down.

Itsjustme0770 is a lawyer who has dived with me, and I can see his mind is working the same way. I'm a bit surprised that no-one else seems to have the same views, or if they do don't think it worth saying.

Back
Top Bottom