Missing diver/Ponce Inlet, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

☹️
The Coast Guard has suspended the search Monday for Jim Evans, a 50-year-old male diver, who went missing Friday approximately 30 miles east of Daytona Beach.

“This afternoon I have made the decision to suspend the search for Mr. Jim Evans,” said Capt. Mark Vlaun, Commander, Coast Guard Sector Jacksonville. “The Coast Guard and our partners extend our deepest condolences to the Evans family, who remain in our thoughts and prayers during this exceptionally difficult time.”

Wondering if this is him. Surface current was pushing south this weekend.

Body recovered 8 miles southeast of Port Canaveral
That story has been updated to confirm that it was Jim Evans they found. I don't think any of the many stories have said whether he was diving alone, with buddies, had a pilot on the boat, or much else. It's fortunate that the currents brought him back to shore from 30 miles out. I don't guess we'll receive a cause of death in time so it's difficult to learn much here.

That is terrible news that he died. To think that possibly he safely reached the surface and drifted away on the surface (presumably on unpredicted current) for days and finally died without being found is even worse. I wonder if we will get the story. It is possible he died underwater and later floated to the surface, of course.

276a4a69_86b9_472a_85ed_3b588cd578ba_40f8a4269e58cb2f0e23dae448ffc1ad1a7751db.jpg

Back
Top Bottom