Missing Diver Off Vandenberg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My youngest son, a former Navy diver, doesn’t understand why recreational divers don’t use tethers to keep their buddies at hand.

I've heard of some low vis divers that suggest that.

If I want to to keep my wife with me, she dives in front of me. In this case, I cannot lose her.

But she may lose you. I get what you’re saying but both of you may be better served if your wife trains to be self sufficient. There are very few problems that require a buddy’s intervention to resolve if you’re adequately trained. But should you get tangled up in netting and not be able reach your shears, she’ll have the awareness to notice and help save the day.

My wife is and dives self reliant as well. She yells at me as I am a lousy buddy.

I own that I am a lousy buddy, and am self reliant.

I dive solo no matter who I dive with.

There is no meaningful buddy diving training that I know of. If I recall OW/AOW training, folks got “lost” all the time. That was the norm in quarries, not the exception. The only reason instructors and DMs get away with it because diving is pretty safe and self preservation induces even the outliers to survive.

Re: Single AL80’s on deeper group tourist dives. I’m not comfortable with this situation because there isn’t much margin for error if anyone in the party has to exert him or her self for any reason. I don’t like “If everything goes just right, we’ll be okay” dive plans.

You are allowewd to go to the surface, you don't have to wait on others and you don't have to find the anchor line.....

Maslow was not a scuba diver.....

From the reports I read, it was a follow-the-leader dive, and she didn't. Buddy dives are different.

Always buddy period

I've heard of some low vis divers that suggest that.

I did that with my son the first time we went shark tooth diving at Venice Beach FL. Visibility was about 5-8 feet and it worked out well, however conditions were very suitable for using a tether.

I used a tether with my son in 5 to 6 inch vis in NJ. But I would never do it again - a tether has the audacity to snag. Like a dangling octo, console or other hanging object. If you think it is bad enough to use a tether - you need to rethink why this dive is that important.

I am only telling you my experience - OATH for tethers - 1 pull OK, 2 pulls Advance, 3 pulls Take back or pull in the line, 4 pull HELP NOW!

Just Say No.

If I want to to keep my wife with me, she dives in front of me. In this case, I cannot lose her.
I tried this one. Did not work. Best agreement was to alternate. And then, when I was in front, she was complaining that I was not diving fast enough. Buddy system is ok. But far from being excellent. Not even close to perfect even if one sacrifices the dive to watch the other so the comments like " where was the buddy?" are often childish.

I tried this one. Did not work. Best agreement was to alternate. And then, when I was in front, she was complaining that I was not diving fast enough. Buddy system is ok. But far from being excellent. Not even close to perfect even if one sacrifices the dive to watch the other so the comments like " where was the buddy?" are often childish.
We both have Dive Alerts so if one somehow can't find the other at least we can communicate that fact.

Back
Top Bottom