Missing diver found (old thread- not Northernone)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I'd just miss you. I should say that I'll be in the neighborhood in 2 weeks. I'll be in Cairns from the 19th to 25th (boarding SpoilSport to Cod Hole), be in Gold Coast on the 26th & Sydney on the 27th. I tried to fit diving in Yongala to this trip, but my friend has other plan, unfortunately.

Yongala is still in my bucket list. May be next year. When is the best time to go there?
There's no best time as such. Australian summer (roughly November-March) is our monsoon season and is therefore more prone to cyclones, but in general the conditions are calmer. Winter gets windy and the trip out becomes less pleasant.

You can get humpback and minke whale sightings in winter and an occasional manta hanging around. In summer you tend to get bigger schools of fish. Technically there's no "bad" time of year for diving there.

But anyway...Back to our regularly scheduled programming. I'm still shaking my head at this guy. Honestly.

His 9 lifes may be down to 2. Mine may be down to 6. I got closed calls a few times myself.

The first one when I was 5 years old. A friend & I was playing near a swimming pool & I got pushed into the diving pool of 5m deep. I saw my self sinking to the bottom. Every time I swallowed water, things got better, more quiet & peaceful as if I was in heaven. Then, I saw a shadow of a man coming towards me. It was my dad. He rescued me from drowning. When we got to the side of the pool, he grabbed my legs by the ankles, got me hanging upside down, tapped my stomach a few times until the water came out of my lung. I went back a life.

Last edited:
I was searching on incidents that were similar to the one that is currently on everyone's mind and I found this one from a couple of years ago. Similar situation, currents most likely were responsible for our friend's current predicament, and this guy drifted quite a distance over 17 hours before he was found, alive and in good shape. Let's hope for a similar positive outcome. Ironically this diver had a PLB, but he left it in his dive box that day.

Sounds like money well spent, especially if you're diving without surface support in places known for strong currents.

Back
Top Bottom