Missing diver found dead during Florida lobster mini season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I pass my fins up before my BC, and if I was wearing 26 pounds of lead - I'd either climb wearing the BC or pass the lead up first. So he may have fell in at that point.

I see others remove their reg from mouth before passing BC or climbing, but I never do.
Passing up 26 pd lead can be an issue for a 70-year old overweight guy.

Generically, yes. Reg or snorkel in if you're in the water. (Should also be positively buoyant on the surface.) But open water training might not involve a boat and details on how you get on board.

Unbelievable but quite probably true!

Oh, ever you ever been 70? I was once. I'm slow, but I get there.

Copy that, I read, but wasn't sure if the torn BC came before or after he fell back in.

And yeah, another 70-year-old here, we're still generally able to do it, though passing up 26 pounds might take some "concentration" depending on what else I was holding onto. 20 is more than enough for curls at the gym, while standing on solid ground..

I pass my 19 cf pony & reg up after every dive. 15-20 pounds? No problem there.

A medical event from perhaps trying to swim 26lbs of lead and a BCD full of water to the surface? That's a medical in the making for most 70 year old. Made worse by no fins!

Or the effort of getting back to the boat with 26lbs of lead and BCD not holding air was too much by the time he got to the ladder caused a medical issue? If that was case then fins or no fins he was going to sink.

Either scenario could happen, or he could have started down that road before he got on the boat. In any event, stress and exertion is not your friend.

I remember in the Rescue training I took, when students had to remove weight belts / integrated weights, and subsequently their BC while in the water, I was amazed on how long it took divers to remove their gear. Without practice, any skill you might have had, including finding a reg, will deteriorate over time.

To borrow from Monte Python, "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition", but they should.

It can be an issue to a lot of divers that haven't made it to 70 yet. One thing about getting old, one learns that technique is your friend.

Bob

Snip. . ..

To borrow from Monte Python, "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition", but they should.
Bob

To quote Mike Tyson: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

To quote Mike Tyson: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

Then on to plan B, that was one thing I thought was good about harassment drills. It ain't over 'till it's over, to quote a great American philosopher of the last century.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom