Missing Diver at Lake Pleasant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Completely Non Valued Added.....

Oh Rly? And why is it you would rather her comment about a crime scene go unanswered? Would you rather people thought it was a crime scene? Does one infer from your posting it really is a crime scene? If so, are you then imparting insider knowledge? :popcorn:

Oh Rly? And why is it you would rather her comment about a crime scene go unanswered? Would you rather people thought it was a crime scene? Does one infer from your posting it really is a crime scene? If so, are you then imparting insider knowledge? :popcorn:
Until a recovery is made, it will be considered a crime scene.

any lesson we got from this unlikely event? sometimes even we are a long time diver or experienced one,we have to back to basic for safety.
I never blame the missing diver even the rest of the group,what i mean is, in every dive we have to apply the basic rule of scuba diving before entering the water and during the dive specially if you are trained as recreational diver. (Im sorry everybody i know this is a very sensitive case, no one is perfect.Lesson is the important)

As a diver, felt very sad for the victim and family..My /our prayers are with the victims family.
God bless...

I feel we all have learned a lesson from this. Unfortunately, it takes something of this nature to make us all go back to the basics! The area that is being searched is considered an investigation scene or crime scene, until Tim is recovered. Like IDS Bill said, it is closed until the case is closed. When they reopen the area, im sure there are many of us who want to continue the search. For now, we will let the officials do their job.

You're kidding right? I'm nobody to answer that question. I'm just trying to find the guy.....

No, I'm not kidding. "Crime scene" hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned that the area had again been closed as a "crime scene." Hence, my question.

No, I'm not kidding. "Crime scene" hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned that the area had again been closed as a "crime scene." Hence, my question.

Sorry man - guess I'm worn down from a long weekend. Didn't mean to come across that way.....

Sorry man - guess I'm worn down from a long weekend. Didn't mean to come across that way.....

No worries :)

The latest news story I've seen. Thanks IDSBill and all others helping in the search.

Family awaits news on missing Lake Pleasant scuba diver

by Clare Hahne - Oct. 26, 2010 09:58 AM
The Arizona Republic

Peoria - Family and friends of a missing scuba diver traveled across the country to support one another as the search at Lake Pleasant continued this past weekend.

Timothy Borger, 48, went missing Oct. 16 when he and a group dove into the lake near the old dam.

His family gathered Sunday to place flowers in the water where Borger was last seen.

"We went out on the boat, and the flowers disappeared," his sister Esther Borger said. "Tim loved flowers."

Advanced divers volunteered over the weekend to search for Borger, who was participating in a scuba certification session in preparation for an upcoming diving trip to Belize.

The volunteers worked with rescuers from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, which used a remote operating vehicle to navigate the deep water. The vehicle with cameras is able to reach the 250-foot depths of that area of the lake.

The weather, which delayed the search last week, again postponed search efforts Monday.

Deputy Jeff Sprong said the search is being scaled back since the diver has not been located, but he said they have not given up on finding Borger.

Volunteer diver Bill Jamison said the dangerous bottom of the lake is covered in such debris as trees, cement, and rebar. He said not many divers are trained to make such dangerous dives.

Borger had only taken a few lessons before the session on Oct 16, according to his family. They said when Borger went missing, he was working on a navigation activity where he would swim out a certain distance and swim back.

Family members said Borger had been taking the scuba sessions in preparation for a trip to Belize to dive in the Great Blue Hole. They said he was an excellent swimmer and loved water activities such as water skiing.

Family members said Borger was excited about diving and learning the equipment. Borger worked as a contractor for Boeing and had a background in engineering that helped him, they said.

A native of Pennsylvania, Borger moved to the Valley 16 years ago.

Nephew Rob Borger described his uncle as the "fun uncle" with whom he loved spending time. He said his uncle used to take him and his sister swimming in Pennsylvania when they were younger.

He described his uncle someone who other people immediately liked. Whether in a grocery store or restaurant, he was the guy who within minutes would be friends with the stranger next to him.

The family said their main concern right now is to find Borger's body and figure out what went wrong.

"We have lots of questions," Rob Borger said. "We just want to get him out of there."

any lesson we got from this unlikely event? sometimes even we are a long time diver or experienced one,we have to back to basic for safety.
I never blame the missing diver even the rest of the group,what i mean is, in every dive we have to apply the basic rule of scuba diving before entering the water and during the dive specially if you are trained as recreational diver. (Im sorry everybody i know this is a very sensitive case, no one is perfect.Lesson is the important)

As a diver, felt very sad for the victim and family..My /our prayers are with the victims family.
God bless...

This is very sad -- and doesn't seem like there is a take-away lesson. Tim went on a navigational course in dark, cold water. Something happened. We may never know the full story unless the family chooses to share with us.

You're in the dark, alone . . . you must always be prepared to depend on only yourself.

I hope when my time comes, I'm doing something I enjoy tremendously and am excited about. God's Grace to the family, friends, and operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom