Missile Silo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USAF Diver

Reaction score
I am going to be in San Angelo (actually Goodfellow AFB) during April and I would like to dive the missile silo on one of the weekends while I am there. I understand it is near Abiliene which is not too far from where I'll be at. Anyone here want to go?

Aaah San Angelo or "Angelo" as the locals call it my home town. There is a nice scuba shop there my brother deals with owners name is Richard scubavilletx.com. They may be able to hook you up with someone. There is also a dive shop in Abilene thedivespot.net I do not know anything about them but possibly you could contact them as well. :admin:
My husband dove the Missle silo you are speaking of several years ago.Not me I don't like cold dark places.:scared:
He said it was a good dive. Good luck.

The Valhalla silo is not a public site. It has to be reserved with a large group of divers sort of like a boat charter. The dive shop that coordinates all that is Family Scuba Center out of Midland.

http://www.familyscuba.com/index.html

Hope you get to dive there. It's pretty dang sweet.

I've heard rumours that before diving the silo, they usually need to skim off the dead rats. Is there any truth to this one? I've heard it a couple of times, but it's my suspicion that people that told it to me haven't ever dived Valhalla.

When I was there in late '02, there was ONE RAT. It was over one hundred feet down in the metal debris near the bottom. The thing was PERFECTLY PRESERVED. There is very little microbial activity in the silo, as the water in here percolates through several FEET of concrete. It's clearer than a swimming pool.

I work for the people that own the silo.... NO DEAD RATS!!! I have seen one in my many trips down there. The silo is about 35 miles south of Abiliene. We normally run trips there when other shops express the intrest, it just got to time consuming trying to build trips all the time, so we actually lease it out. Although, I do tend to run down there on semi-private trips every now and then.

The water has leeched through a minium of 4ft of concrete to get in the silo, and the water is super clear.

Any more questions?

USAF diver, find James Denton on the base, I know he is a pilot and the bases "scuba instructor" he's a real nice guy and recently ran a trip down to the silo.

If you can't find a lead to him, pm me and I can get you his contact info.

USAF Diver:
I am going to be in San Angelo (actually Goodfellow AFB) during April and I would like to dive the missile silo on one of the weekends while I am there. I understand it is near Abiliene which is not too far from where I'll be at. Anyone here want to go?

I might be interestd in going. What is the cost and schedule?

The way it works, you get it from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. It's $400 for the weekend for up to 25 people and then $25pp after that. The group must have a insured DM or INST, and you basically lease silo for the weeked, we are just there to open and close the place.

If you run a trip you can have it closed, your people only, or open where other people can come to the site, we send them your way and you get the $ not us.

If you have any more questions just ask.

Back
Top Bottom