Miss the wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga James

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just got back from running 4 straight 2 dive days. All went well except for Friday.

On the first dive my mate had to make an extra bounce to get the hook after the first attempt failed because the lift bag leaked. So on the 2nd dive, I decided to snag the wreck and not have him tie in to give him a bit more time to off gas. I marked the wreck, dropped the hook and it came tight. My divers came back and said the hook was snagged on something in the sand but not on the wreck. Viz was about 30' and they could see a shadow and bait in the distance but were afraid to swim to it and loose the hook. They didn't think to run a reel.

But instead of returning, they burned half their gas. They never saw the wreck. Two of the divers came back sort of pissed, and I offered them their next trip at 50% off (they had already paid a shop). They seemed ok with that but stiffed my mate on the tip. The others took it in stride and were very pleased with my offer to give them their next trip at 50%.

I think the 2 were mad because they thought I should rehook and let them go back and burn the rest of their air (these 2 were diving AL80's in 110') and I said that I had shoreside deadlines and could not.

What would you guys have done?

Last edited:
You are NEVER going to make everyone happy when something goes wrong. I have been on countless fishing charters and the captain gets blamed for not finding fish. I think you did a great thing offering half off on their next trip. I'm also thinking the anger in those last 2 will wear off and given the 50% off, they'll be back.
As for your mate, well you could throw him a lunch of something. just a token that shows you appreciate him and agree you think he got screwed. I've fixed a lot of problems with a hamburger deluxe plate.

I think you handled the situation perfectly. 50% off for their next trip is very fair, and I'm glad you did not let them go back in the water to "burn the rest of their air." Using a half tank (40 cubic feet) for a 110' dive is just asking for trouble. Stiffing your mate just showed that the divers were classless. I agree with SkipperJohn-a nice lunch goes a long way to making up for passengers' rudeness.

Back
Top Bottom