Mischief at MacAbee June 28, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmmkiwi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Generally I'm more of a lurker here on scubaboard, preferring to read rather than post. But my dive buddies convinced me that I needed to post this one.

On Saturday morning I met Ben in San Jose at 4 am and we drove down together to Monterey, shooting for a sunrise dive along the wall at Breakwater. We joined up with Jeff and Jessica there. Dive #1 of the day was my first time diving along the wall. Great dive, a lot of stuff there to see.

The highlight of the day, however, was dive #2 over at MacAbee. We hit the water but decided to call the dive after having equipment issues on the surface. After we had everything sorted out, we finally made it to the water. And WOW, were we glad we waited. A harbor seal joined us and was playing around with us for a long time. He was nipping at everyone's fins but had a particular fascination with Ben's fins. Very funny to watch. The seal would swim off but kept coming back again and again and again, showing off his skills. Seems like everytime I turned around to look at Ben, there was that seal again checking out his fins. Even after all the stuff that went wrong that morning, simply a fabulous dive in every way.

I did capture some of the dive on video. I had intended to take pictures as well, but I got too involved in shooting video whenever the seal came back. Here are some of my favorite clips from the day. I'm still suffering from shaky camera hand syndrome but bear with me, its worth viewing :D

YouTube - Mischief at MacAbee

There was not enough time for dive #3, but I don't think anyone was disappointed at all.

Thanks to Ben, Jeff and Jessica. I truely had an awesome time with you guys. I hope that we can make this a regular thing. Ben, anytime you want to carpool again let me know. I still owe you.

kmmkiwi3657134:
Thanks to Ben, Jeff and Jessica. I truely had an awesome time with you guys. I hope that we can make this a regular thing. Ben, anytime you want to carpool again let me know. I still owe you.

Ditto. We had a great time, and look forward to diving with all again.

That video is EPIC

--Jeff

Last edited:
Wow, looks like Jet fins are a hit even with the seals. Endorsement enough for me :)

You got some great video footage. That seal cracked me up- I had no idea it was hanging around so much. Half the time, I figured I was just caught in some kelp. Turning around to see it behind me always brought a smile to my face (good thing I've been practicing mask clears). I'm still bumming I missed that crab/starfish. I guess I'm still too amazed by the nudis to be aware of anything else.

Gear issues as I remember it:
1) Forgotten weight belt
2) Leaky tank valve
3) Torn drysuit neck seal
4) Wrong inflation hose for rental drysuit (discovered after our surface swim, right before we dropped)

Despite the problems and multiple trips to MBDC, it was a fantastic day. I'm glad we were able to get everyone in on that second dive. I'm also grateful not to have done it squeezed. True, we weren't able to work in a third dive, but I left Monterey very fulfilled.

Thanks for coming out with us. We'll have to do it again. I'll definitely be up for future carpools. And Jeff, Jessica, you two are a blast to hang out and dive with. Thanks for coming out to play!

-Ben

Awesome vid and thank you for sharing it. I love it when they look right at the camera.

Little hams! :D

Gear issues as I remember it:
1) Forgotten weight belt
2) Leaky tank valve
3) Torn drysuit neck seal
4) Wrong inflation hose for rental drysuit (discovered after our surface swim, right before we dropped)

I almost forgot to give a shout out to MBDC. One of Jessica's tanks was leaking from the knob, and one of the guys at MBDC replaced a bolt for free. I've always found them to be super helpful over there.

--Jeff

After reading the title, I knew Jeff was at McAbee that day, and I said to myself "I wonder what Jeff did now?"

:wink:

After reading the title, I knew Jeff was at McAbee that day, and I said to myself "I wonder what Jeff did now?"

:rofl3: hehehehehehe

I chose that title on purpose. I thought it might generate more interest in the thread. :D

:rofl3: hehehehehehe

I chose that title on purpose. I thought it might generate more interest in the thread. :D

Heh yea im sure Jeff already isnt happy with me, since I took next week off from work and he still has to go in :wink:.

The video by the way is pretty darn awesome.

Heh yea im sure Jeff already isnt happy with me, since I took next week off from work and he still has to go in :wink:.

The video by the way is pretty darn awesome.

LOL it totally sucks, and this week is gonna suck. Lots to do, and not enough time :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom