mirror on camera idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcsgt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been thinking about mounting a small mirror to the front of my camera system. I've heard that fish are attracted to their own reflection and may approach closely. I'm thinking I might be able to capture quizzical expressions on their faces, as well.

Any thoughts on how I might do this?

Is this a good idea at all?

Thanks!

Maybe have a donut shaped mirror so you can poke the lens through the hole?

ask Gilligan on Maui--- I hear he is the can do man.

Also speaking of mirrors---if you penetrate inside a wreck and release a lot of air bubbles, you can get a mirror effect in the ceiling and get some cool reflections.

I know lots of divers who carry mirrors with them and use them to entice the fishies.

Sometimes fishies get scared when they see themselves in your port, though, so it's important to understand the fish you are trying to get close to.

Not sure where you are in your diving and photography, but my best advice would be to concentrate on getting as good as you can in those two areas and then add the mirror...one more thing to deal with really adds extra stress uw.

I wouldn't mount the mirror myself...but having one might be great. Maybe on a short stick so you could keep it a bit away from your housing and also "create" poses/angles...looking forward to seeing your results.

Me, I just wait and observe and hope to try to get in the right place:
tusk1a.jpg

alcina:
I know lots of divers who carry mirrors with them and use them to entice the fishies.

Sometimes fishies get scared when they see themselves in your port, though, so it's important to understand the fish you are trying to get close to.

Not sure where you are in your diving and photography, but my best advice would be to concentrate on getting as good as you can in those two areas and then add the mirror...one more thing to deal with really adds extra stress uw.

I wouldn't mount the mirror myself...but having one might be great. Maybe on a short stick so you could keep it a bit away from your housing and also "create" poses/angles...looking forward to seeing your results.

Me, I just wait and observe and hope to try to get in the right place:
tusk1a.jpg
that is such a cool shot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

catherine96821:
ask Gilligan on Maui--- I hear he is the can do man.

Also speaking of mirrors---if you penetrate inside a wreck and release a lot of air bubbles, you can get a mirror effect in the ceiling and get some cool reflections.
I never thought of that, I'll have to try it, next time.

I love the seal, Catherine!

alcina:
tusk1a.jpg
Great idea, I'll give it a shot. Makes more sense not to have it permanently attached, anyway. Kind of limits you to certain poses.

Is that a napolean wrasse? Cool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom