Minneapolis now requires an annual permit to SCUBA dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not until there is a fee....then the reason is obvious, more tax money.

depends on what the fee is used for. In some places fishing licenses support fisheries and some boating accesses.

A permit system for a activity that is extremely low in that area indicates the government implementing fees in the future shows to me that its nothing more than a money maker. And yes I'm making that leap now before they start making it a fee.

A permit system for a activity that is extremely low in that area indicates the government implementing fees in the future shows to me that its nothing more than a money maker. And yes I'm making that leap now before they start making it a fee.

Hey Jared0425,

+1

When they say it isn't about the money, it always is. Sooner rather than later, a fee will be charged and legacy jobs will be created. It is what government does. The SCUBA police will materialize.

Cynical? No, a student of history.
markm

Folks...

I can only speak for my own area...Fathom Five Marine Park in Ontario...is a ''pay for play'' park...

Annual fee is $20....day and week permits are also available...annual permit is a serial numbered token...day and week permits are coloured wrist bands...

Money collected goes for annual re and re of wreck shot lines...sales and marketing for the park...preservation maintenance of the wrecks...trash collection...to name but a few...

I'd pay $100. for the annual token if it came to that...and be glad for it...

We have to pay for service and maintenance of everything we have...

You only have to dive the Tobermory wrecks once...to realize $20. per annum is the worlds best entertainment bargain...

Attached photo was taken on the Arabia last Sept....my park permit token(s)...are clipped to my harness...

Better to pay and have it...than not pay and eventually lose it...because the local municipalities...especially the small ones...can't afford to maintain it on their own...

Warren...

Screenshot (14).png

Folks...

Money collected goes for annual re and re of wreck shot lines...sales and marketing for the park...preservation maintenance of the wrecks...trash collection...to name but a few...

View attachment 515161

Not be a jerk Warren, but how does one pay to preserve and perform maintenance on a shipwreck?

The only cost I can somewhat agree with is putting mooring lines on them to dissuade grappling and a permanent anchor off the wreck. However in the long run it's an exercise in futility as they WILL fall apart.

My problem with these fees dealing with diving is usually the funds go to everything but the activity you pay for. All of us divers pay enough as it is in equipment, training, gases, charters, so why pay to dive a site? I'm glad that here in the US that crap has been shot down at least 6 times. Only the USS Monitor and the USS Arizona are the only shipwrecks that are restricted in American waters.

Registration to dive a shipwreck is also a slippery slope.

Not be a jerk Warren, but how does one pay to preserve and perform maintenance on a shipwreck?

The only cost I can somewhat agree with is putting mooring lines on them to dissuade grappling and a permanent anchor off the wreck. However in the long run it's an exercise in futility as they WILL fall apart.

My problem with these fees dealing with diving is usually the funds go to everything but the activity you pay for. All of us divers pay enough as it is in equipment, training, gases, charters, so why pay to dive a site? I'm glad that here in the US that crap has been shot down at least 6 times. Only the USS Monitor and the USS Arizona are the only shipwrecks that are restricted in American waters.

Registration to dive a shipwreck is also a slippery slope.

Jared...

The Tobermory wrecks are inspected on a regular basis...all the ''intact wrecks''...intact used in in broadest term...have measuring devices attached to them...

As an example...distances between starboard and port sides are closely monitored to ensure the sides are not spreading which will result in eventual collapse...

The ''Sweepstakes'' has S/S tie rods installed to inter-connect port and starboard to prevent side wall collapse...and S/S cages inside the hold hatches...so you can drop down through the hatch and see the complete intact hold from bow to stern...

I'll agree that there's not much that can be done with steel ships in the way of preservation maintenance...especially those that have already been partially destroyed by cable dragging...19th century wooden shipwrecks are another story...

Being on the bottom...and looking at 150 year old sailing vessel with intact catheads and stowed anchors...is a lot better than looking at a pile of white oak timbers...that used to be something...but is no longer anything...other than a pile of timbers...

As I've already mentioned...I'm more than happy to pay for the service...which is after-all...only $20. per year...

There's a lot of work involved in maintaining these wrecks in their current condition...and to stall the deterioration process as much as possible...those performing the work...certainly deserve to be paid...

Best...

Warren

Back
Top Bottom