Minimum Safety Equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFScuba

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

Still relatively new to diving - have the basic mask/fins/snorkel and rent the other equipment until we figure out what works best. I have been searching through the threads and trying to come up with a "must have" list of safety items to take along for each dive. To give you an idea of the type of diving we're doing: My wife and I have been doing dives where land is visible and staying with smaller operators (6-packs, 8 or 10 at the most) and avoiding the cattle boats. All dives generally less than 80 ft.

Currently have:
Safety Sausage
EMT Shears
Dive Knife
Computer
Compass
Small Flashlight

In process of purchasing:
Safety Mirror
Storm Whistle

Anything major that's missing?

I have the knife because it was on sale when I first started. I have read recommendations for line cutters. However, the EMT shears alone seem sufficient for any cutting jobs that would be necessary... can we ditch the other cutting tools?

Redundancy in cutters can be desirablle. If you drop one or can't reach one, you have an alternate choice. I carry both shears & a knife.

A Dive Alert is much louder than a whistle. But keep the whistle, too.

SFScuba:
Anything major that's missing?
Not really. That's a pretty good list of basics. If you will be diving in an area with boat traffic, you should consider having a sausage and 30' of cord that you can use to put the sausage up while at safety stop as a "don't run me over" sign to boats.

EACH of you should have a set of safety gear.

And I to agree.

I also like the way you described your type of diving... to an extent.

Is it drift diving, currents? Wave height? Day/Night?

A safety sausage without an attached 30' of 3mm line is just about worthless. Practice the ability to shoot it from depth.

Access and storage are very important issues. Don't lose that whistle... attach it to your body- it will be the last thing you will use or would care to lose, maybe a neck ring?

Mirror? Strobe? Smoke? Flares?

Sounds extreme, but then again, diving can be extreme.

That lady floated around off of Tobago for two days being carried by the currents.

Oh, yes- and she could "see the land", too.

Try stay away from suicide clips and metal to metal contacts for attaching your gear. If something gets snagged you want to be able to break it away or cut it away. A dive slate wrist mounted with a carpenters pencil is great when handsignals get exhausted. A dive light thats high wattage (strong beam) can keep you visible if seperated from buddy. Tank lights for night diving. Spring straps can help with line tangles with flag line. A retractor to keep gages close to body. Trim pockets to distribute weight. Extra tank band to help prevent slippage. A good octo holder (bungee cord) so the octo doesnt fall out.

Charlie99:
Not really. That's a pretty good list of basics. If you will be diving in an area with boat traffic, you should consider having a sausage and 30' of cord that you can use to put the sausage up while at safety stop as a "don't run me over" sign to boats.

EACH of you should have a set of safety gear.
Thanks, we do each have a set of the previously mentioned equipment.
RoatanMan:
I also like the way you described your type of diving... to an extent.

Is it drift diving, currents? Wave height? Day/Night?
For us it's a mix of diving depending on the location. We have done drift diving with medium currents, night dives (which would require the extra lights), calm waters, and rough choppy waters.
RoatanMan:
A safety sausage without an attached 30' of 3mm line is just about worthless. Practice the ability to shoot it from depth.
I'm not sure I understand why a sausage would be useless without a 30' line. I realize that it can be used to signal your location during a safety stop, but isn't the primary purpose as a surface signal so that boats, etc. can better see you?

Thanks all for the feedback!

I'm not sure I understand why a sausage would be useless without a 30' line. I realize that it can be used to signal your location during a safety stop, but isn't the primary purpose as a surface signal so that boats, etc. can better see you?

If you have a line on it you can use it as a float during a deco stop. It is much easier to maintain depth in a current with a visual reference. Zeagle makes the best one that I have seen.

Redundancy in cutters can be desirablle. If you drop one or can't reach one, you have an alternate choice. I carry both shears & a knife.

I would not dive without. In Cozumel a operator did not want me to dive with knife or gloves. I was in the process of going to another operator with all 18 divers when he changed his mind.:D

A Dive Alert is much louder than a whistle. But keep the whistle, too.

Nothing to add on this one. I think that Dive Alerts should be carried by everyone. Remember, you need air in the tank for it to work.

If you are diving in areas with strong current flares and smoke will put you at ease. I cannot think of anything more visable.

Back
Top Bottom