Minimum requirements for tech courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A recreational dive can turn into a deco with a single problem to happen during the dive.
Sorry, but this really is just bs.

I'm an OC and CCR tech diver with many dives in a variety of environments
I find that very hard to believe. But than, you probably think 100 dives is 'many' and 'not silting' is tec diving.

And can you not twist my words? I never said there is a magic number but generally people with more dives are better than rookies... thinking it's a good idea for people for with 25 or 30 dives to do deco dives is downright stupid.

Nobody is tried and tested at 25 dives.
Thank you. That's what Seya doesn't seem to understand.

Long story short, what quality of dive experience does the prospective student have and what is his/her skill and comfort level? Rest assured my "assessment dive" for a prospective tech student will be in a dynamic environment....because you can doctor a logbook but you can't lie to me in the water.

If you did a the assessment dive with a student who only had 25 dives (but his 25 dives were already in a non-benign environment) and he passed your assessment in terms of his skill and attitude... Would you deny him because you think he wasn't "tried and tested" with only 25 dives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added July 19th, 2015 at 10:13 AM ----------

generally people with more dives are better than rookies....

It's not so easy to generalize... People with many dives that are trained poorly sometimes turn out to be poor divers with plenty dives... Continously diving with bad habits doesn't make you a better diver than somebody with 25 dives who was impeccably trained and has natural talent to go along with it.

Then you have vacation divers who rack up plenty dives over time... but when you see them on vacation you will still wonder if they're new to this thing...

Diving has a lot to do with what you learn, the way you were trained and your attitude all together...

It's up to the instructor to assess the student properly irregardless of dives... I don't think tech certs were made, and made with low standards to rake in customers... There's a bunch of specialties for that... You have to look at the requirements to complete the course not the requirements to start it...

If you did a the assessment dive with a student who only had 25 dives (but his 25 dives were already in a non-benign environment) and he passed your assessment in terms of his skill and attitude... Would you deny him because you think he wasn't "tried and tested" with only 25 dives?

The diver you describe does not meet the prerequisites for any tech course other than Intro to tech( which is non deco and taught in < 60' of water) under the NAUI system. Therefore, I wouldn't have done an evaluation dive to begin with...because I would not have accepted him into a deco class....he doesn't meet the prerequisites. If he wants to do Intro to tech, I'll teach him....but that isn't what the spirit of this thread refers to.

The diver you describe does not meet the prerequisites for any tech course other than Intro to tech( which is non deco and taught in < 60' of water). Therefore, I wouldn't have done an evaluation dive to begin with...because I would not have accepted him into a deco class....he doesn't meet the prerequisites.

They meet it for deco procedures... Which is what THE OP's post was originally about:

"Course prerequisites:

Minimum age 18
Minimum certification of SDI Advanced Adventure Diver, Advanced Diver, or equivalent
Proof of 25 logged open water dives"

Not for NAUI, which is the only agency I teach through. I went back and clarified that in the post you quoted.

Yea just saw your edit, I quoted before that... Naui is 50... So 50 is a good number for tried and tested?

Sorry, but this really is just bs.

I find that very hard to believe. But than, you probably think 100 dives is 'many' and 'not silting' is tec diving.

And can you not twist my words? I never said there is a magic number but generally people with more dives are better than rookies... thinking it's a good idea for people for with 25 or 30 dives to do deco dives is downright stupid.

Thank you. That's what Seya doesn't seem to understand.

You might not be tried and tested after a million dives if everything always goes right. But it's useless talking with you. I'm done with you.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Yea just saw your edit, I quoted before that... Naui is 50... So 50 is a good number for tried and tested?

It could be. The problem with the 25 dive prerequisite in my opinion is that it is quite possible that all but a handful of those 25 dives were under instruction. They have likely had their hands held and been spoon fed in a benign environment for most if not all of their "experience".

But NAUI requires more than just the 50 dives before Deco...We also require Master diver(which is not the card collector badge that PADI issues) and Intro to tech prior to entering the deco course. If you didn't do those courses with me (AOW, MSD or ITT), I'm going to take you for an evaluation dive before I accept you as a student. Some folks think that's overkill...good for them, I don't need their business. They can go find some hack that doesn't give 2psi if they are prepared for technical diving(either under instruction or independently).

It could be. The problem with the 25 dive prerequisite in my opinion is that it is quite possible that all but a handful of those 25 dives were under instruction. They have likely had their hands held and been spoon fed in a benign environment for most if not all of their "experience".

But NAUI requires more than just the 50 dives before Deco...We also require Master diver(which is not the card collector badge that PADI issues) and Intro to tech prior to entering the deco course. If you didn't do those courses with me (AOW, MSD or ITT), I'm going to take you for an evaluation dive before I accept you as a student. Some folks think that's overkill...good for them, I don't need their business. They can go find some hack that doesn't give 2psi if they are prepared for technical diving(either under instruction or independently).

I was actually thinking the 25 dives didn't include training dives... Probably a bad assumption to make since a logbook doesn't necessarily distinguish the difference

And yea the naui requirements seem to be much more rigid so I can understand where you're coming from

This is a great response. You're not using numbers to judge someone. I imagine your students become excellent divers. Dive count is **** plain and simple I love assessment dives. That's how all technical courses should be set up but no agency would risk that

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom