Minimum hardware requirements for editing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I asked a question in another thread about editing software products about what hardware (Processor speed and memory) people were using, knowing that the hardware affects the software's ability. What would you consider a minimum memory (HD and RAM) and processor speed for effective GoPro editing?

Any of the current model computers will be "enough", but more is always better, right? Just a matter of how much cash you wanna flush down the drain :p

Theres an exception to the above though.. I dont consider netbooks "computers".. They work for storing crap and surfing the web, but IMO the screen is way too small to edit video/photos, they generally dont have a lot of ram and hdd and they tend to have issues with the cooling - making them overheat and slow down or shut down entirely if you push them with heavy loads for extended periods..

The software you plan to use often will tell you the minimum and recommended specs.

I know my laptop is way under the minimum specs for most editors, but it doesn't mean it won't work, it just takes longer to render and 1080p playback might lag - but there are alternatives to that...

One tip on editing 1080p video - if you computer does not meet the recommended specs - is to use "proxy clips", most advanced video editors offer that option.

Proxy clips (or other similar terminology) are lower resolution versions of your original clips that are used during the editing phase, letting you correct color, insert transitions, effects, etc. while still having a smooth playback. Once your project is done and you render your final video, the editor will use the full resolution files.

For some hard numbers start here:

CineForm Studio: System Requirements

They also list many popular editors at the bottom of the screen as GoPro compatible. One that has lower requirements - besides Windows Movie Maker - is Premiere Elements. Hardware minimum/recommended options for it are: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 - Tech specs

My general rule of thumb for video editing has always been double the minimum on everything you can afford.

sorry to point out your thread hijack :p
imo, besides fairly recent hardware, the biggest consideration with both software and hardware is your graphics card. the latest software should all support (video card) hardware acceleration, and it can make a huge difference. but you have to make sure your specific card is supported with the software. my rendering goes about 3x faster with a $50 video card upgrade.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/gpuacceleration

Thanks all. I am about to buy a new PC so want to make sure I have this covered. I like the 2x minimum as a guideline. My wallet doesn't but I do!

it is one of those balance things. For me I wanted to edit tons of 1080p video
it took hours to just render it
since time is precious I spent about 1800 and built a killer system
if you are not doing a lot of video editing just occasionally
get an I5 processor with lots of ram and a dedicated graphics card
I went i7 24gb ram and two nvidia 550ti in sli
it chews through 2,7k video like butter

Why is the rum always gone

Rum helps with Video Editing, oh my gawd I put in some long hours.

I didn't skimp when I went for a dedicated Editing Machine.

The quick answer: If you buy a high-end "Gaming" machine, it'll have all the horsepower/ram/graphics card to "quickly" render raw movie into a MP4 or other file format.

My system, a several year old Alienware Aurora PC, radiator liquid cooled i7 dual quad core (yes 8 cores) CPU's, 12 gig ram, wicked fast graphics card, Software is Sony Movie Maker (cheaper version of Sony Vegas) and a 56" LCD TV for an editing monitor, and I want to add a 25" for a second previewing monitor. I custom built mine through Dell, but you can buy them off the shelf at even Walmart...........

Dell Alienware Aurora AAR4-10003BK Desktop PC with Intel Core i7-3820 Processor, 16GB Memory, 2TB Hard Drive and Windows 8 (Monitor Not Included): Computers : Walmart.com

As for my machine performance, while rendering a finished 3 gig video file, it takes about 35-45 minutes to render. But the CPU and RAM are only running at 35-50%.

After the first attemp at doing even free Windows Movie Maker and staring at a stuttering file/screen on a basic $700 PC, I said screw that and yes you need to buy all the horsepower you can, just think of a Gaming PC, and buy as such.

Last edited:
As for my machine performance, while rendering a finished 3 gig video file, it takes about 35-45 minutes to render. But the CPU and RAM are only running at 35-50%.

this would take me about 2 hours. amd 9750 quad core (2.4ghz), 4 gigs ram, nvidia GT640. same software, cpu 100%, ram use minimal.

Back
Top Bottom