Minimalist Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think minimalist solo diving depends a lot on how and where you dive, and your personal experiences.

Where I solo dive there is a lot of speed boat traffic overhead, so I always make sure than I surface near shore where my buoy is located (we are not permitted to tow our dive flag buoys, by law).

It is also completely dark below 60 feet, so lights and backups are necessary. The terrain is rather featureless and the visibility is less than 10 feet, so you can't navigate without a compass.

Once I ventured out solo and my one compass failed. I found myself at 100 feet in complete darkness with no idea which way back to shore. I could hear all of the boats zooming overhead.

After that - two compasses, two of everything.

Large reservoir.

Dale thanks for the post. I agree with your assessment that your most important gear is between your ears. Why do you minimize gear? More enjoyable? Or do you consider a simpler rig safer?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little of both, though I would say it really depends on the dive.

I sort of divide them (dives) into simple fun dives or more serious or deep dives. On a simple dive I will use almost anything, because my safety really doesn't depend on the gear as much as a general sense of watermanship skills (if that's a word). A neutral, unencumbered, able swimmer has little to fear from being 50' deep when you think of it. That's why early divers could do what they did with rudimentary gear. They had a big skill set called skin diving (snorkeling). It's important to note that because many of today's divers have little/no experience skin diving suggesting they "do as others did" may not be the best advice.

Before going minimal I would advise anyone to acquire free diving skills. They are probably more important than true diving skills I think because free divers are always keeping track of, and actively relating to, the surface exit; which is what a minimalist should do. That is what makes it safe.

Any time a direct exit to the surface isn't possible/predictable, I will default to a redundant rig. The minimalist philosophy falls short in that environ.

The enjoyment of diving simply and unencumbered is also undeniable. I also am a student of history and minimalist/vintage equipment allows me to experience it. One of my pet projects is to keep trying to find that one, simple rig. So far a Hawaiian pack seems to be in the lead.

012-2.jpg

Last edited:
I agree. I dive quarries. I like the deep dark dives with redundant gear and a Drysuit , but just as much I like tooling around simply at 20-30 feet in a wet suit with minimal gear. Always carry redundant cutting tools thought

Here's a video of that Hawaiian Pack project. It was fun to build and then to dive what I had built. If it snows today I may take it out for a spin.

[video=youtube;g1RSmIvAOEc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1RSmIvAOEc[/video]

DaleC awesome video. I love the vintage stuff. Have an old aqualung aquarius. I love the simplicity. I'm currently putting together a DPV with an old trolling motor.

I normally solo dive with a 120cf main and a 30cf pony, 2 computers, sausage, etc.
The most task loading is on fossil dives off of NC at 85-100ft depth.
You run a reel, have a decent size goody bag and maybe a digging implement to deal with.
Once you are used to it, the loading isn't too bad. I started off fossil diving with buddies, then over time figure it was less stressful* to solo and I got Solo certified.

*Buddy diving for fossils, you can spend much of your time chasing a buddy who has succumbed to "fossil fever" and is lost in the haze.

95% of my dives since 1961-62 have been solo. I gear up based on the kind of dive I plan to do. For many of my solo night dives, where I am averaging about 25 fsw depth, I may dive with nothing more than a single tank and camera gear (dual video lights). However for deeper dives, I dive with a pony. I guess I'm kind of minimalist since I'm a certufied dive bum and can't afford to decorate my BCD with all those fancy gadgets that many divers seem to like to attach. However, I would never recommend that anyone else use me as a poster boy for solo or any other kind of diving! Your mileage may vary (but my golf cart gets 70 mpg)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom