Mini season, why the bad PR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I'm not out to get lobster, I just want to plop down in the mud and take pictures. But I'm a little unsure if it is worth driving up there if the park will already be shut down due to maximum capacity...

... if the park will already be shut down due to maximum capacity...
It won't be........Private boat , MID_WEEK, employed divers in WPB actually are slim. The big day will be August 10th for boat/trailer parking.
It will be busier than a normal summer weekday, but it won't close. You may also get the benefit that the BHB trail will be empty of divers since many will be out bugging AND no dive shops are going to be doing lessons because they are so busy doing fills and slammed at the shop. Go dive BHB and post up how it was.

I was planning on diving Blue Heron Bridge tomorrow (Wednesday). Has anyone been there during mini-season? I was wondering if the park might be shut down by the County if Phil Foster Park completely fills up with boat trailers and trucks. I don't know how busy mini-season is in West Palm Beach.
Agree with Johnoly, go dive the bridge.
There are seperate parking areas for trucks/trailers and for vehicles. Never heard of them closing the park to boating traffic. Suppose it could happen though..
Heard the place was busy today, but that really doesn't mean much..
Get there a couple hours ahead of when you want to plop in the water..

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll go for it tomorrow. I've been to the park on multiple occasions where the sheriff has closed it down because the parking is maxed out. But I think those have always been on weekends. High tide's at 2:25pm.

did anyone else go out last night for the beginning of the lobster mini season??...the winds shifted to out of the west after the rains... the ocean laid down to flat with minimal current at the beach in LBTS...didn't quite get the 12 like i wanted (lol) but a cool five will do...dive safe during the insanity.

We're now transiting back to the house, got underway around 0530, had a blast.
Didn't reach the limit eather but we knew it would be that way without any sure locations in advance.

Was great going out of the inlet at sunrise and the shoreline filled with boats... Seemed like all early birds went very very shallow around here ...as in less than 25'
The sad note came over the radio around 0940. A missing diver was reported with request to all vessels in the area to keep a lookout, later on the request was removed. I think they called it code 17, there were more details on the radio but I'll leave it to the news to twist them. Quite sad.

Hopefully is the only issue for this year.

We'll do it again tomorrow, see how it goes.

I remember the headline in the Keys 5 or so years ago: "No deaths this year!" How sad that no deaths would be "news".

Okay, so I dove Blue Heron Bridge today. It was moderately unpleasant getting in. The Park was still open, but there was so little available parking that I had to park pretty far away from the diving area. A large percentage of the cars parked in the diver area did not belong to divers or snorkelers, but were friends/families going out in lobstering boats. A lot of boaters left family behind in the park, who kind of just loitered around. One woman put her toddler on her lap and then drove slowly around the park, letting the toddler honk the horn repeatedly. God, what a nuisance she was. Another group of left-behinds made a giant obstructive koom-bay-ah circle right in the path where divers commonly enter/exit the water. Very few lobstering boats had returned by mid-afternoon so the park wasn't yet stinky or trashy.

The dive itself was rather good. There actually weren't that many folks on the snorkel trail or under the bridge. Only one open water class appeared to be in session. Incredibly high amount of parrotfishes today. Spotted a darterfish. Hot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom