Mini reefmaster found after 8 months in the ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StuartT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Back on May 16th of 2010 on a dive charter with Sea Dragon charters out of Horseshoe Bay, B.C. I accidently dropped (forgot the lanyard wasn't on my wrist) my camera in somewhere between 40-60 ft at the Collingwood Day Marker dive site on the West side of Bowen Island. Being negative I knew it was on the bottom somewhere at that dive site. The owners of Sea dragon Charters were kind enough to re-name the dive site reefmaster mini and told any divers on subsequent trips during their briefing about my lost camera and the possible location of it. I personally have been back to the site a few times with no luck locating the camera. Well about 2 weeks ago I got a call from a dive buddy out on the Sea Dragon saying that another diver had found my camera. Well the camera still works, the pictures I took the day I dropped it were still on the card, and all the functions still work. It actually powered on underwater for the diver who found it then shut down due to low batteries. A big thanks to Dale Anderson (owner of Ocean Pacific Watersports in Kamloops, B.C.) for finding my camera and to Jan and Kevin (owners of Sea Dragon charters) for telling divers to look for it. Besides a bit of corrosion on the metal parts of the buttons and one of the buttons sticking a bit the unit works fawlessly. Unbelievable for being in the ocean for just shy of 8 months. I'll try and post the shots of the huge orange peel nudibranch(approx 12") that I took the camera out of my drysuit pocket to take pictures of. That's why I dropped it. I had it in my pocket in case I saw something worthy of shooting as opposed to having it on my wrist for the whole dive. Lesson learned. Make sure everything you have for accessories is clipped off somewhere. Kudos to Sealife too!!!!

Very cool.

Back
Top Bottom