Mini Diving Air Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't see it as much different from "monkey diving" as long as you continue to breathe from the pony on ascent or exhale all the way if you go OOA. I've just ordered a 19 CF to use without BC, etc so I can carry what I need for short shallow dives in places I can't get a full kit to. Basically fins, mask, snorkel, snorkel vest, tank and just enough weight to get down. I'm sure I'm not going to kill myself.
It’s not free diving if you have an air supply, I like your idea for quick shallow dives you should get some reasonable dive time, I would call it microscuba.

I'm sure I'm not going to kill myself.
You're also trained to scuba dive and know what you're doing. You're not the target market for the smaco/skorkl systems.

The amazing part is these have been out for a few years now. I have yet to hear of any injuries/deaths so far.
I bet of the few that are sold most get played with in a back yard pool a few times and with the hassle of getting it refilled they are retired.
Anyone doing a deep snorkel dive has been around long enough to know what they are doing and won't use one (or abuse one anyway).
While the potential exists, the skill needed to be a huge problem also prevents the problem. Where the problem is a potential there isn't the skill to be a problem. The overlap does exist, but it is small.

The OP is qualified for scuba, from his previous posts.

I think this sort of dive needs to be approached as scuba with a small cylinder rather than freediving with a small cylinder.

The possibility of forgetting which type of dive you are doing and making a breath held ascent is pretty horrible to consider.

I picked up one of the mantis harnesses for doing shallow bay diving. Like under 10 feet where I just didn’t want to come up all the time. It worked great. It’s made for a pony bottle size. Just had primary and spg. Had 15-20 mins on 20cu ft pony. My boys and I used it when fishing got boring and/or wanted to see the stuff in the sand/seagrass. Treated it like a real dive minus the computer and full gear - no bouncing, no quick surfacing. Had 3 pony bottles for quick swaps. Lot less space in my little Jon boat.

Don't see it as much different from "monkey diving" as long as you continue to breathe from the pony on ascent or exhale all the way if you go OOA. I've just ordered a 19 CF to use without BC, etc so I can carry what I need for short shallow dives in places I can't get a full kit to. Basically fins, mask, snorkel, snorkel vest, tank and just enough weight to get down. I'm sure I'm not going to kill myself.

Monkey diving isn't free diving, its a simpler variation of a tank dive.

If you start inhaling from a compressed tank while at depth and then make a rapid ascent (as you do in free diving ) you WILL get in serious trouble and possibly get yourself killed.

And if you plan to do otherwise just do a regular tank dive because its not free diving

The OP is qualified for scuba, from his previous posts.

I don't agree. The OPs previous posts suggest that he may be certified, but is highly inexperienced, quite reckless, and ignores his training.

Back
Top Bottom