Mine La Motte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lostsheep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have some business to take care of out that way and would love to work in some diving.

What’s the deal with access to mine La Motte? It appears to be open to divers but I assume you need permission and someone would want to collect an admission fee.

Do you guys dive La Motte year round?

Any local divers willing to help out with a tour / guide?

Any other recommendations for places to check out in the area?

FWIW, I am full cave, mod2, dpv etc ….

Thanks in advance.

Are you on FB? There’s a Midwest Cave Diving group that will get you everything you need to know.

The FB group is a good suggestion. I’ve been to MLM one time. You need permission. You likely won’t see anyone while you are there. The admission fee gets placed in a predetermined spot in the salvage yard/junk pile that dots the entry road. There is a small shack at the entrance to the mine. There is a map in that shack. You can enter to the left or right. We entered to the right. There is a tunnel you wade into. The line is along the wall on the left side. Visibility the first 200ft or so was terrible. It cleared nicely after that. We scootered to a control room area, approximately 3000’ in. @Whitrzac has done a lot of the legwork for contacts and has done a few big dives in the last year. MLM is a neat dive. Cannonball is in the general vicinity, and Mermet Springs is an option if you want slightly less adventure, and like paddlefish. I would choose MLM or Cannonball over Mermet, but neither sight is a walk in the park to get to.

Are you on FB? There’s a Midwest Cave Diving group that will get you everything you need to know.

I am on FB but radically prefer forums. I can’t stand FB thinking it knows what I want to see, there’s zero categorical organization , and searching is useless.

Thanks for the tip , I will check it out.

This is a drone shot I took at the site. In the video link above, they entered straight across the pond from the road and shack. When I was there we entered to the far right. There is a tunnel, that is blocked by trees in the photo.

Attachments

• 8EF8A2CC-DBAA-4C73-A05D-78EE0080A79B.jpeg
    8EF8A2CC-DBAA-4C73-A05D-78EE0080A79B.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 56
Who would I contact to get permission?

Do you guys dive here year round?

Back
Top Bottom