Millbrook - Tomorrow - Beach 1 - 9 am

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hope to see some of you there!

...and it was 60 on the surface. I have no idea what the bottom temps are, but if I hear them before I leave tomorrow I will post them.

dubya once bubbled...
What are the temperatures there this time of year?

Two weeks ago it was 43 degrees at the 30 foot platforms; hope it's warmed up.

I'm planning to get to beach 1 by 8:30; hope to see you there.

Mike

Well the water was still cold, especially on the inside of the dry suit. The day wasn’t a total loss though as I learned several things. I can swim up with a flooded drysuit at the start of the dive and a Pioneer 36 provided plenty of lift at the surface even with a flooded drysuit.

I asked my wife Deb to tuck the hood into the drysuit skirt. She thought that I meant to tuck it under the neoprene neck seal. For whatever reason I didn’t realize what she was doing.

The dive started normally until I got to about 20 feet and hit the drysuit inflator button to add some air. I felt a small stream of very cold water run across my chest. I thought to myself, “self this doesn’t seem right, where is the water coming from.” The only thing I could think of was that some how water got into the valve and the air pushed it through. So I continued to descend and pushed the inflator again, only to receive another steam of cold water. Finally I figured out what was going on; I signaled my buddies that I was having neck seal problems and was going up. At that point I went vertical to control my ascent, big mistake. A veritable river of cold water rushed in.

Lessons Learned:
1. You are responsible for checking out your gear. It’s alright to get help but check things out yourself.
2. A flooded drysuit, while not very comfortable, is no big deal.
3. Andy’s US-200 underwear weighs 400 pounds when soaked.
4. If your wife helps you flood your drysuit she’ll wash your underwear without complaining.

Mike

Mike,
You are good.
How did you convince your wife that it was her mistake, and she agreed to it.
She may wash your underwear without complaining, but Watch out,
DO NOT FORGET HER BIRTHADY OR THE WEDDING ANNIVERSARY.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom