Mild knee ache at 6m on every dive during LOB trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there.

I hope to seek advice from qualified persons regarding a suspected bend.

Last week on a LOB trip on 2nd day I began to feel very mild knee pain at the 6m stop. By the time the stop finished the very mild pain had gone.

Every day we did 2 dives per day 2 hours run time/dive 45-70m on 10/50 setpoint 1.3 deco on 1.6.

On every dive some very very almost unperceivable knee pain would start half way through last stop (last stops typically 45mins long) This very mild knee pain returned just for a min or two during the last stop on every dive for next 4 days and pain disappeared after just a few mins well before stop finished.

On last day (day 7 of diving above profiles) no knee pain during 6m stop.

Now 2 days after diving I feel some 'weirdness' in my knee - not pain - some kind of feeling that is not normal.

I presume I was bent. I guess I knew that deep inside but convinced myself I wasn't as it came on only at 6m only for a min or two and was very very very mild ache rather than pain. I assumed I was just a bit cold and stiff. Movement of the knee during deco did seem to prevent it coming on/hasten its departure

I was bent in the same knee a year or two ago (same feeling after treatment (surface O2 only) that I have now, but that time I really felt a lot of pain and it came on at the surface not at 6m)

I presume I likely have an inherent increased risk of getting bent in that same spot due to previous damage or my general physiology there? Does that sound likely/possible? Is that the way it works?

Is there anything that can be done am I just going to have to be more conservative?

Is bone necrosis a real risk or is that only really relevant for sat/commercial divers?

Am I just going to have to live with it?

Cheers
Mike

Stop farting about on the internet and contact the DDRC

DDRC Plymouth: +44 (0)1752 209999

Royal Navy Doctor: +44 (0)7831 151 523

Aberdeen Royal Infirmary: +44 (0) 845 408 6008

Sorry to be so blunt but it's better to speak to someone who knows directly and I think you're a Brit so give the DDRC a ring.

dbulmer:
Stop farting about on the internet and contact the DDRC

DDRC Plymouth: +44 (0)1752 209999

Royal Navy Doctor: +44 (0)7831 151 523

Aberdeen Royal Infirmary: +44 (0) 845 408 6008

Sorry to be so blunt but it's better to speak to someone who knows directly and I think you're a Brit so give the DDRC a ring.

Sigh.

Im not 'farting about on the internet' - Im asking questions and trying to discuss subject matter in a forum thats sole purpose is to provide a place to ask such questions and discuss such matters.

I dont need any kind of emergency hyperbaric treatment. For one thing its been far too long now since the injury (if there even was one) hyperbaric treatment wouldnt offer anything.

No need to panic, have a coke, relax.

Just wanted to get some feedback and have some discussion for general knowledge from those that are knowledgeable on the subject.

While you're waiting on qualified responses, I'll mention that my Deco Inst explained that getting bent in a joint can destroy cartilage, leaving permanent damage. Have you had the knee by an Orthopedic Doc...?

DandyDon:
While you're waiting on qualified responses, I'll mention that my Deco Inst explained that getting bent in a joint can destroy cartilage, leaving permanent damage. Have you had the knee by an Orthopedic Doc...?

Hmm, the cartlidge, thats an interesting point I never considered. There is a history of knee problems in my family (father and brothers all have had cartlidge problems)

DrMike:
Hmm, the cartlidge, thats an interesting point I never considered. There is a history of knee problems in my family (father and brothers all have had cartilage problems)
I see, perhaps you were predisposed to knee problems anyway, and a hit there doing damage to the cartilage would make it worse.

Have you seen an Orthopedic doc?

DrMike:
Hmm, the cartlidge, thats an interesting point I never considered. There is a history of knee problems in my family (father and brothers all have had cartlidge problems)

A checkup at the orthopedic surgeon's office is a good idea. Considering all the stuff that happens on deep profiles, not to mention the repetitive wear and tear on the body and joints hauling and swimming with tons of gear. It's never natural. I am personally amazed that my body functions after years of the deeper stuff. However, I am not without my problems. MRI's revealed some interesting spine and possible nerve damage from this sport. Sucks. X

DrMike:
I dont need any kind of emergency hyperbaric treatment. For one thing its been far too long now since the injury (if there even was one) hyperbaric treatment wouldnt offer anything.
. . .
Just wanted to get some feedback and have some discussion for general knowledge from those that are knowledgeable on the subject.

Go see a doctor.

The chances are slim to none that an actual qualified MD would be able (or willing)
to make an actual diagnosis over the internet, and everybody else is just guessing.

Also, unlike an internet forum, a doctor might even be able to make it feel better.

Terry

Terry

Back
Top Bottom