Mild DCS? Symptoms? What to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes it doesn't make sense until you start writing it out and start looking at all the puzzle peices and then you discover that all the stuff that you thought was the problem are only biproducts of a root cause.

Great information. I posted something related to this awhile back. Previous post

A problem like sciatica (the term given to pain down the leg, which is caused by irritation of the main nerve into the leg, the sciatic nerve. This pain tends to be caused where the nerves pass through and emerge from the lower bones of the spine) could be misinterpreted as a mild or major DCI hit.

It makes sense to know your body's pains and aches and not wonder if they are a hit after a dive or more.

John, don't try and explain away your post-dive aches and pains too much. This is the wrong direction to take.

The initial advice of Jeff Lane (when it doubt, treat it) and Janes Goddard (get on 100% O2) is best. And see a dive physician.

Secondly, be aware that UNDESERVED DCS is common, and is recognised by DAN. It is a mistake and dangerous trap to say, I didn't break an NDL, my computer didn't beep, so it can't be DCS.

Your pre-dive notes show that you didn't get much sleep. That in itself could lead to undeserved DCS.

As the statistics provided show, you can get DCS symptoms quite abit of time after the dive. Read the DAN accident reports: many victims don't get symptoms until they are on the AIRPLANE flying home.

I am not a dive doctor. But I am nursing a disabled elbow that was tingling 14 months ago from undeserved DCS, and I explained it away just like you are doing. It has been a major bummer and inconvenience, and I pray every day I'll dive again.

Finally, I could have sworn that fatigue is definitely considered a side-affect of being "saturated" ie having absorbed quite abit of Nitrogen, a prelude to DCS. Ditto for unwarranted headaches after the dive. Just look at the boat after a deep dive. Nitrox divers are chatting animatedly and filling out log books, the Air divers are spread out on the bow sleeping or holding their heads.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I was actually very paranoid for about 2 days after my dive... but then it's been 3 weeks... I think I'm safe :wink:

crispos, I'm so sorry to hear about your elbow... and I do understand that it's better to be safe than sorry.

hmm...statistics show that most divers don't realize it until they're on a PLANE??? That's one aspect that really freaks me out cuz flying after a dive...even 24 hours or so... can lead to it... specially since no two people react to DCS the same way. Some people get bent on a regular dive, others can seem to stand worse conditions.

I'm in pretty good shape... so I guess that helps my body metabolize things pretty well... I'm NOT going to abuse that. And my Suunto is set to P1 even if I don't need it.

But I've learned my lesson... that dive was a poorly planned vacation... I should've gotten more sleep. That made a big difference on the following weekends.

I never get seasick... but that day, I got dizzy just being on the boat... so it was my lack of sleep and food. :p

In the accident reports, you'll see that the majority that got hit on a plane did have some symptoms at some point before getting on the plane and were able to rationalize them away - it wasn't until they were at altitude that they realized that they had were taking a hit when the real pain started.

Definitely chrispete, I was going to add about that. The lower pressure of the airplane cabin brings out the DCS symptoms that were otherwise not apparent, rationalized away or unnoticed.

Ok, another question... is it possible to get delyaed DCS? As in the diver has no clue what so ever, feels fine after a dive, no symptoms at all... then gets hit hours/days after? Or will there always be symptoms?

jplacson once bubbled...
Ok, another question... is it possible to get delyaed DCS? As in the diver has no clue what so ever, feels fine after a dive, no symptoms at all... then gets hit hours/days after? Or will there always be symptoms?

Hi J:

If symptoms begin 3 days after a dive, its very unlikely to be DCI related.

Neuro DCI, including vestibular DCI, nearly always happens soonest, within the first day. If untreated, the neurologic tissue may die, 'stroke', causing a permanent injury that recompression seldom can fix, so the farther the recompression is from the time of injury, the less successful it is. Recovery after that is usually the CNS tissue rewiring itself for restoring function.

Joint DCi occurs quickly too, but often the patient ignores the symptoms as due to something else, say a pulled muscle. How soon they seek treatment depends on the degree of pain. If left untreated after 1-3 days, the pain may eventually subside,and the patient appears normal. However, it increases the risk of a 2nd complication, such as dysbaric osteonecrosis, at a later period.

hey some one on here

Back
Top Bottom