Mikron vs Core

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard wonky things about the Suunto transmitters, and don't have any experience with the Perdix AI yet, but from what I've heard it's pretty sound technology, but for recreational diving I wouldn't bother with a secondary means of measuring pressure. You aren't diving a fully redundant air system anyway, so if the transmitter fails and won't hook back up, the dive is over, no different than if your SPG starts leaking or fails for whatever reason. If it dies, back on the boat, and about 30 seconds with an adjustable wrench and you're back in business running analog again, nbd. Only time I would even consider going with an SPG on the reg set as well would be if it was absolutely critical that I complete the dive no matter what. In that case, I'd be on doubles if in OW, and would have the AI on my right post, and a SPG on the left per normal

Very good point. Also, on a separate note, I see you're located in Greenville. My parents are moving to Lake Keowee at some point down the line. Any good diving there or any of the surrounding lakes?

Very good point. Also, on a separate note, I see you're located in Greenville. My parents are moving to Lake Keowee at some point down the line. Any good diving there or any of the surrounding lakes?

not particularly. Jocassee and Keowee aren't bad for training, but it's not somewhere that we go on a regular basis unless we have a particular need to get in the water. Typically gear tweaking

My wife has the mikron and loves it. It is small and light and fits her mouth well. I have the Core and it breathes a bit better. I recently got the deep 6. It breathes even better and is bigger. Being able to service my own reg is a big deal to me so I am glad to have switched over to the deep 6. The first stage being a turret is a big plus. It is bigger and heavier but the freedom of movement makes it possible to get a more comfortable setup with my second stage so it makes up for the larger size of the second. If I had to choose between the mikron and the core I chose the core but if I was starting over I would go straight to the deep 6. Where in Texas?

Unfortunately, not in your beautiful part of the state. Up in the concrete jungle known as the DFW metroplex.

I recently purchased a Core reg set after a lot of research on mid priced regs for warm recreational diving & am extremely pleased with it. It breathes great, is compact & simple, serviced anywhere in the world & is a proven reliable design. The port config works well for my hose routing (40" primary with 90 deg fitting and bungeed octo). I dont dive cold water & am fanatical about rinsing gear so the sealed 1st isnt an issue for me, but you can get the sealed Core Supreem for only a few $$ more. The Core is basically the same as the Titan LX (balanced 1st & second stages), it will be an upgrade from your basic Titans second stage which is not balanced. Service interval is 2 years with only an inspection every other year. I didnt see the value in going with the Micron & preferred the parts commonality with the Legend & Titan for future parts obsolescence.

I love my Uwatec Galileo Luna AI computer (sale at $749 with transmitter at Leisurepro) but damn the Perdix looks nice!

Back
Top Bottom