Mikron vs Core

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why just first and second? what do you have already for gauge and secondary?

To get more detailed, I'm upgrading from a 15 year old AL Titan setup. When I was referring to just first and second, I was referring to just the price range I was looking to spend on that. But I will be purchasing a new octo and gauge too. I was planning on using just the basic AL ABS octo and going with an i750 with wireless transmitter. Probably will get just a single pressure gauge as a backup to the computer.

Aqualung makes a great regulator and as Jay said on the rare chance you have a problem traveling, service is available worldwide. I have yet to need anything more then routine maintenance and that only on an as needed bases. Its been about 3 years since the last service.

Our first regs were Mikrons and its still my recreational set, primary and backup second. Its also on my pony reg, Eric's pony and as his backup regulator to his Legend primary. He bought the Legend several years ago thinking it would breathe better then the Mikron but he says he can tell no significant difference. So that's 3 first stages and 5 seconds all in regular use.

Obviously I am a big fan of the Mikron for both its size, weight and for us at least, dependability. Between the Core and the Mikron you can't go wrong. The Core does have the ACD as does Eric's Legend. He seems to like it but since I am starting to service my own regs I prefer my not having that feature.

Thanks!

My wife has the mikron and loves it. It is small and light and fits her mouth well. I have the Core and it breathes a bit better. I recently got the deep 6. It breathes even better and is bigger. Being able to service my own reg is a big deal to me so I am glad to have switched over to the deep 6. The first stage being a turret is a big plus. It is bigger and heavier but the freedom of movement makes it possible to get a more comfortable setup with my second stage so it makes up for the larger size of the second. If I had to choose between the mikron and the core I chose the core but if I was starting over I would go straight to the deep 6. Where in Texas?

I have the mikron and really enjoy it. It's super light and small and makes you wonder why all regs aren't this size. Some posters have claimed the bubbles get in your face, but I never noticed it, though I'm not a big photographer.

ETA: my LDS shop also sold me when said that almost anyone can service these regs anywhere.

Last edited:
I would vote against the ABS octo. I made the mistake on getting one on my very first AL reg set and swapped it for a titan lx 2nd very shortly thereafter. Didn't breath well and when tuned for easier inhalation it was very prone to free flow.

To get more detailed, I'm upgrading from a 15 year old AL Titan setup. When I was referring to just first and second, I was referring to just the price range I was looking to spend on that. But I will be purchasing a new octo and gauge too. I was planning on using just the basic AL ABS octo and going with an i750 with wireless transmitter. Probably will get just a single pressure gauge as a backup to the computer.

I wouldn't bother upgrading. It's not going to be a real upgrade.... First stage is identical, so no point in upgrading that. You might get an upgrade on the seconds, but it's going to be essentially negligible if you stay in the same family. They really haven't changed....

If you want an upgrade, about the only meaningful upgrade you'll see at a reasonable price is the Deep6 second stages. At $130 each with hose, get a pair of them, put them on your Titan first stage, and call it good. The second stages are really the magic behind those regulators with the new poppet design, and for the price you really can't argue. The only reason to ever upgrade your Titan is if you want/need to seal it, which can be upgraded at service from any Aqualung dealer, or if you want better hose routing due to port configuration. Not really a big deal unless you go to a situation where you need the fifth port at the bottom. DIR style hose routing is much better with the bottom port, but it's anything but necessary. Save the many hundreds of dollars and just get the second stages which will be a noticeable performance bump.
Deep 6 Balanced Adjustable Second Stage - Regulator Second Stages - Regulators

Regarding the computer, I'd highly recommend going with the Perdix AI instead of the Aqualung.
Cave Adventurers - Perdix AI - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Nothing wrong with the Aqualung, but the Perdix is a much better computer and you'll save over $300. Not being OLED it should also be easier to read in the sun compared to the i750TC. 2015/2016 had a huge computer shuffling. Aqualung stopped distributing Suunto which went to Huish *Atomic/Zeagle*. Aqualung bought PPS *former sister company of Oceanic/Hollis*, and Scubapro bought Seabear. Nothing has really changed since any of that, so the Aqualung computers are just rebadged Oceanics if you want to read reviews on them. Personally though? I'll save $300 and buy the better computer from Shearwater. The i750TC is too big to wear as a watch when you're at the surface so you don't really get any advantage there and the Perdix is a really nice size. I wouldn't personally bother with a pressure gauge on the regulator itself. Keep it in your save a dive kit with a set of allen keys and an adjustable wrench in case the transmitter dies, but the PPS transmitters that are used in that set are really quite nice and the Perdix is bullet proof, so as long as you keep fresh batteries in, it shouldn't be an issue

I wouldn't personally bother with a pressure gauge on the regulator itself. Keep it in your save a dive kit with a set of allen keys and an adjustable wrench in case the transmitter dies, but the PPS transmitters that are used in that set are really quite nice and the Perdix is bullet proof, so as long as you keep fresh batteries in, it shouldn't be an issue

You say cool shtuff. I'm thinking that's a totally acceptable way to get rid of a hose for open water blue water dives. I honestly never considered that.

I wouldn't bother upgrading. It's not going to be a real upgrade.... First stage is identical, so no point in upgrading that. You might get an upgrade on the seconds, but it's going to be essentially negligible if you stay in the same family. They really haven't changed....

If you want an upgrade, about the only meaningful upgrade you'll see at a reasonable price is the Deep6 second stages. At $130 each with hose, get a pair of them, put them on your Titan first stage, and call it good. The second stages are really the magic behind those regulators with the new poppet design, and for the price you really can't argue. The only reason to ever upgrade your Titan is if you want/need to seal it, which can be upgraded at service from any Aqualung dealer, or if you want better hose routing due to port configuration. Not really a big deal unless you go to a situation where you need the fifth port at the bottom. DIR style hose routing is much better with the bottom port, but it's anything but necessary. Save the many hundreds of dollars and just get the second stages which will be a noticeable performance bump.
Deep 6 Balanced Adjustable Second Stage - Regulator Second Stages - Regulators

Regarding the computer, I'd highly recommend going with the Perdix AI instead of the Aqualung.
Cave Adventurers - Perdix AI - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Nothing wrong with the Aqualung, but the Perdix is a much better computer and you'll save over $300. Not being OLED it should also be easier to read in the sun compared to the i750TC. 2015/2016 had a huge computer shuffling. Aqualung stopped distributing Suunto which went to Huish *Atomic/Zeagle*. Aqualung bought PPS *former sister company of Oceanic/Hollis*, and Scubapro bought Seabear. Nothing has really changed since any of that, so the Aqualung computers are just rebadged Oceanics if you want to read reviews on them. Personally though? I'll save $300 and buy the better computer from Shearwater. The i750TC is too big to wear as a watch when you're at the surface so you don't really get any advantage there and the Perdix is a really nice size. I wouldn't personally bother with a pressure gauge on the regulator itself. Keep it in your save a dive kit with a set of allen keys and an adjustable wrench in case the transmitter dies, but the PPS transmitters that are used in that set are really quite nice and the Perdix is bullet proof, so as long as you keep fresh batteries in, it shouldn't be an issue

Awesome info and advice...thanks!

You say cool shtuff. I'm thinking that's a totally acceptable way to get rid of a hose for open water blue water dives. I honestly never considered that.

I've heard wonky things about the Suunto transmitters, and don't have any experience with the Perdix AI yet, but from what I've heard it's pretty sound technology, but for recreational diving I wouldn't bother with a secondary means of measuring pressure. You aren't diving a fully redundant air system anyway, so if the transmitter fails and won't hook back up, the dive is over, no different than if your SPG starts leaking or fails for whatever reason. If it dies, back on the boat, and about 30 seconds with an adjustable wrench and you're back in business running analog again, nbd. Only time I would even consider going with an SPG on the reg set as well would be if it was absolutely critical that I complete the dive no matter what. In that case, I'd be on doubles if in OW, and would have the AI on my right post, and a SPG on the left per normal

Yes, if the transmitter failed while I'm carrying an spg backup then I can finish the dive but if I weigh the risk reward of forgoing the spg in open water rec diving, I'm risking an early end to the dive against a simplified rig and one less failure point. My perception of the oceanic transmitter failure rate is that it is no more prone to failure than an spg and if it is, it is not by much. If I have to end a dive early due to a transmitter failure on a rec dive, it would not be the end of the world. One less clipped on hose and one less thing to monitor for no gain is a worthwhile reward. I just never considered the costs of the backup spg. You are right. It belongs on the boat until needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom