Mike Veitch's Photography Class (Phil Aug 2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently had the honor of attending a four day version of Mike Veitch's photography course held in the Philippines. My background is a cerrtified beginner. I could spell ISO on a good day but had no idea of how the different settings all fit together. Fortuntely, the course was structured such that a raw beginner like myself can benefit as much, if not more, than someone who already has an idea what they're doing.

The course can be broken down into three broad areas.

Technical covers all of the technical components of the camera. All of the basics, including aperture, ISO, shutter speed, etc. Special emphasis was placed on getting them all to work together and the inobvious factors like depth of field.

Artistic covers all of the stuff the make the picture stand out. This was the part to listen to in order to get more than fish butts and ID pics.

Critiquing. After each dive, Mike works with each attendee on what went right and wrong with each shot. The comments simply address what might be used to have made the picture better, assuming it wasn't a good picture in the first place.

The last part of the class was an intro to photoshop and dealt with color correction, removing backscatter, file formats, raw vs. jpeg, saving files for different purposes, etc.

It's really amazing to see the difference between what I used to do for pictures and what I do now, there are some from the class that are really nice and there's no way I would have put together both the technical and artistic bits without help. The course was definately worth the money and anyone who has an interest in photography would do well to consider one of Mike's upcoming courses (Bali or Puerto Galera).

Thanks for posting this, Halthron. How about some samples of your pics?

I've been researching different UWP instructors, and have narrowed it down to Mr. Veitch. Now I just have to get the money/time to attend. It'll happen.

I must say that I wholeheartedly agree. Mike is the person who got me started last November, I had never taken even one U/W photo. He is very good at what he does and very good at teaching his craft to others.

I'm going to another Photo Workshop with Mike and Tim Rock in Bali this October and I'm going to head over to Yap for a few days as well. There might be a space open for the Bali class yet and I know there is another Philippine workshop next June. These workshops are VERY reasonable cost wise and a lot of fun. There is a least one other couple from SB coming besides me. Of course the PPD will be there and it will be a terrific week.

Here is a link to the next ones... http://shootunderwater.com/_wsn/page2.html

Eric, we might see you on the September 29th weekend in Anilao...:D

Unfortunately, the photo gallery still isn't available and I don't feel like messing around with another site temporarily.

Dennis, Sept 29th? Cool. I'll have been out of the water for a few weeks at that point and that should be my first weekend back in the PI. Chances are I'll be at AV.

I completely agree with Eric's post assessment of the workshop.

I'm still tired from the trip...no time yet to post pix, need to do some office work (sucks). Soon...

@Dennis - you can put up a thread for the September DOR...sorta an MV class alumni and friends reunion! hehe

eric has got the description dead on! the workshop was amazing. mike is really one good teacher.

may i add that every afternoon just before the critique starts my heartbeat goes on overdrive. no photoshoping was done...i guess that was the case with everybody else. nobody has a clue what mike will say on the top photos of the day :D

he simply places you at another level, you'll really learn to dig deep into your creative side.

that being said, here are some of mine :eyebrow:

226796277_401968928f_o.jpg

226797727_5e841368ef_o.jpg

226797595_8c0bc73e72_o.jpg

226796355_ea7136bd28_o.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom