Mike Nelson's all-web tank harness (with no backplate)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimsey0

Reaction score
Hi guys;

I have never seen any all web rigs like the ones off SeaHunt on ebay, or any other place... were they custom made for the show, or did Mike just wrap a bunch of webbing up a certain way?
About 7 years ago, I bought a USN bell harness to make a vintage style tank harness with; honestly, its about the only one of that type of pattern I could find at the time, though there might have been one or two simpler vintage harnesses on ebay at the time, of another pattern;
Today, after grabbing these pics, I went outside with a steel 72 and tried to rig up the bell harness in this fashion... and it has worked so far, I might post some pics in a bit.

Mikes_rig.jpgMikes_rig2.jpgMikes_rig3.jpgMikes_rig4.jpg

Does anyone have any information on these all web harnesses? I went to vintagedoublehose.com (they've got some great new production harnesses there) and I looked at most of the vintage catalogs, and all of them had some kind of metal band, or backplate *none of them* were like Mikes (all web)

These harnesses were available in the 1950s from US Divers Company, I believe. Simonbeans can make a new reproduction of this type of harness for you too. He'll probably come on as soon as he sees this thread to tell you more.

SeaRat

I'll second John's comments, and in addition, provide with the link:

Allan Klauda's Harnesses.

I'm especially enamored with the basket-harness that you're probably looking for (photo taken from a VDH thread started by Ken):

Nemrod_22cu_Basket_Harness_11.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen one on ebay way back.It wasn't even a U.S.Divers made one.It was all white.It sold for hundreds.Even some with one metal band have sold for good money.Get one off Simonbeans.

I'm especially enamored with the basket-harness that you're probably looking for (photo taken from a VDH thread started by Ken):

Nemrod_22cu_Basket_Harness_11.jpg

Wow, that's a great looking example... so they were from an actual company (or a variety of them) back then. Strange they're so rare; I guess one reason is because most of the backpacks we see (on ebay and such) are from the 70's. I'll keep SimonBeans in mind; right now I've already got a harness (an expensive one) I need to modify:

No Selection MK-20 Mod O Harness

Which I did earlier, I'll try and take some more pics of the modification in the daytime:

Thanks for the information, guys. I also remember an episode where one of the divers on sea hunt had one of these rights, but it was just one strap (instead of an X) running up the middle, or side of the tank, and fastening to something.

Attachments

• IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Wow, that's a great looking example... so they were from an actual company (or a variety of them) back then. Strange they're so rare; ...

I believe there are two reasons they are so rare today. One is they were made from cotton webbing and rotted. The other reason is they just weren’t very comfortable and people saw no reason to clutter up their dive locker once they found a better replacement. A lot of us have tossed enough vintage gear over the years to open a museum. I usually had more of a sense of revenge than nostalgia in mind.

I have never seen that Mk-20 Mod 0 Harness, but I would not wear it. The reason...the leg straps are not quick-release. I have a harness I made, which I also patented with parachute-style leg straps. But it has a quick release on each leg. This harness may be difficult in an emergency to get out of. 'Just a thought. The enclosed image is from my patent on the Para-Sea BC.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Para-Sea BC Backpack Adaptation.jpg
    Para-Sea BC Backpack Adaptation.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 604
That's so neat that you patented your own design like that, John; thanks for sharing. Looks interesting... so this was like, modified from what you actually used in pararescue in the 60's?
I'll keep in mind what you said, as well; might add some quick releases, though the current fasteners have similar physical dynamics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom