Mike Nelson's all-web tank harness (with no backplate)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never seen that Mk-20 Mod 0 Harness, but I would not wear it. The reason...the leg straps are not quick-release. I have a harness I made, which I also patented with parachute-style leg straps. But it has a quick release on each leg. This harness may be difficult in an emergency to get out of. 'Just a thought. The enclosed image is from my patent on the Para-Sea BC.

SeaRat

Y'know John, I've heard you mention the para-sea before, but I've never seen it til now. Looks great!

Used one once... back in the 60s. Uncomfortable. No thanks. I stuck with the backpack style (which were also present in the 60s... I remember mine, even though I was there!)

I'll second John's comments, and in addition, provide with the link:

Allan Klauda's Harnesses.

Yes, the basket harness. Allan does an excellent job on all his harnesses. I have a basket harness in USD blue and a standard harness with bands in Healthways yellow. I love them both. Right now I am on vacation and they take up virtually no extra room on the cylinder in the back of the car, another advantage. Last week I had the opportunity to make a couple dives using the basket harness at Little Corona del Mar beach before the surf picked up. I don't even notice the cylinder on my back, so to me it is comfortable.

With a 7mm two piece beavertail wetsuit with a spine pad I could strap a chevy 350 on my back and not feel it.
I like strapping a plain tank on my back, to me there is nothing uncomfortable about it. I even strap a plain tank on my back in a pool with board shorts with no problem.
The tank IS the plate.

That's so neat that you patented your own design like that, John; thanks for sharing. Looks interesting... so this was like, modified from what you actually used in pararescue in the 60's?
I'll keep in mind what you said, as well; might add some quick releases, though the current fasteners have similar physical dynamics.

Thanks KimseyO, but no, the Para-Sea concept is a combination of the parachute harness modified to get into it from the rear rather than the front, with a front-mount, wrap-around BC. It is better seen from the side:
ClearLakePetrifiedTree.jpg

One of the other PJs built an "Integrated" harness which also included both a parachute harness with a scuba harness. But the Para-Sea concept is independent of the scuba unit, and can be used for free diving whereas the Integrated harness was also the scuba harness. I believe this is a photo of PJ Nick Klimi in the integrated harness.
PJNickKlimisinIntegratedHarness.jpg

I'm still hopeful of getting a few produced, perhaps next year as mine is getting pretty worn now. I also think I can develop some underwater swimming concepts along with the Para-Sea BC which would allow double amputees to swim very, very fast and efficiently in the water (maybe even with double hose regulators).

SeaRat

I own two of Allans harnesses. I have a basket and the one with the metal hoops. If your walking around the dock with a tank hanging off your back, I suppose they wouldn't be very comfortable. However underwater, where they are designed to be used, I find them to be very comfortable. At the Sea Hunt 50 event this year I had 6+ hours of bottom time over a 3 day period. That was all using those harnesses. Half the time diving wearing a swim suit! No problem what so ever.

I have one of Allan's harnesses for my twin 72 cf rig. They are very comfortable in that form. I have seen his single and even triple rig harnesses in action at Portage. All of us who use them find them quite comfortable and streamlined underwater. With double d-ring releases it means it only takes a few seconds to put on and then voila - you're a fish. Thanks Allan for remanufacturing such a great product

Just spent two weeks diving in the 1000 Islands of NY. Dove 8 different wrecks, drift diving, deep stuff, bottle collecting, etc. Double hose with harness the whole time. If you are interested in my harnesses, contact me at aandd_adventures@yahoo.com for complete information including current prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom