Mike goes through the new Dive Talk Go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not saying there will be that much of a price drop, but that is pretty common as technology hits the market in mass.
TV are a mass market product. O2 cells for ccrs or ccrs wont be a mass market product anytime soon. My point was that there is a lot of guessing going on here and people claiming that cells fail all the time... yet we have not seen many or any accidents due to failing cells... hence failing cells don't seem to be big issue in real life.
Nobody has done that yet. And for that comment about not seeing rEvos in caves, a lot of that will go back to a big seller of rEvos back in the day who is currently locked up in federal prison. He soured the rEvo name in cave country. And there are a other rebreathers that are better designed for caves.
In Europe they're also not that common in caves and no revo dealer went to jail. I just mentioned caves because another user said the extra cells on a revo would be an advantage for long cave dives.

Galvanic cells are a huge PITA. The things fail frequently and cost a small fortune. It's by far and away the most fragile part of diving CCR and probably responsible for the vast majority of "can't dive" incidents.

Am personally waiting for a new delivery to replace two of my cells -- recently replaced ones at that.

Well done to Kiss for bringing some innovation into the CCR world. Wireless solid state sensors, yay. Also those unconventional counterlungs.
I've never missed a dive due to a cell failure (*knocks on wood*). Maybe the fact that you have 5 of them, several of which sound like they are at or near expiry may have something to do with your experience.

They're like 70-80 bucks a piece so carrying a spare is trivial.

It's a little strange that you keep extolling the virtues of having 5 cells yet you continue to complain about how they are always in need of replacement.

I've never missed a dive due to a cell failure (*knocks on wood*). Maybe the fact that you have 5 of them, several of which sound like they are at or near expiry may have something to do with your experience.

Am a little niggled that the two most recent ones have failed. Thankfully there's no big dives coming up and I've a couple of replacements coming.

Have been on a couple or few dive boats where people have had to bail out before the dive because their unit spat the dummy. OK, they were Inspirations, but they refused to calibrate before the dive when the diver's kitted up and ready to go. An Inspo-diving friend has had this happen too.

It's a little strange that you keep extolling the virtues of having 5 cells yet you continue to complain about how they are always in need of replacement.
I've missed several when I started out as I was given AST sensors when I started. One example. I successfully calibrate at home. Drive to dive site, being OCD I do it again at the dive site. One sensor fails. Swap it out with a spare. Recalibrate. Then a different one fails. So I went home as I was so frustrated.

Getting AI sensors from DGX fixed that.

yeah i mean i'm not saying that the galvanic cells are perfect, but aside from checking linearity each day, and calibrating them from time to time, they seem to work and i don't really find they get in the way.

i'm sure the solid state sensors are great but it doesn't sound like they are going to revolutionize ccr diving.

Am personally waiting for a new delivery to replace two of my cells -- recently replaced ones at that.
Are you using the rEvo supplied cells or another brand in your rEvo?
I have found the cells supplied bey rEvo to be very reliable. Over 10 years of diving the rEvo I have had one cell fail inside 18 months and I can count on one hand the number that have failed before being fully rotated out of my unit after 30 months following the rEvo six month cell replacement policy.

Are you using the rEvo supplied cells or another brand in your rEvo?
I have found the cells supplied bey rEvo to be very reliable. Over 10 years of diving the rEvo I have had one cell fail inside 18 months and I can count on one hand the number that have failed before being fully rotated out of my unit after 30 months following the rEvo six month cell replacement policy.
Have always used Revo supplied cells. Just ordered a couple from the new UK Revo spares dealer as a trial.

Have always used Revo supplied cells. Just ordered a couple from the new UK Revo spares dealer as a trial.
The ones I use are the vandegraff cells from rEvo and I had two fail within a month. I honestly think the lesion is the need to have back up cells means the one that goes into the unit in the time of need has been nocking about in my “save the dive kit”. Because they are affected by temp and time they’re not reliable anymore. The need to have a back up might be ironically making the back up unreliable too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom