Mike Ball Supersport Short Trip Report July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chantana

Reaction score
Hi! We went on Mike Ball's Supersport out of Cairns at the beginning of July and it was really great. We went to Cairns with a bit of time on our hands hoping to get on a liveaboard for a bit cheaper. Unfortunately it was school holidays and we didn't book a flight from Brisbane, where we entered, to Cairns, and ended up having to go a day later because all flights were full, and paying about AUD$200 more per person than flights usually are.
However, it wasn't too bad, and when we got there we went to Taka's office and there were only two spaces left in a four-share cabin at a cost of AUD$790 pp excluding gear hire. We had just missed Spirit of Freedom, which we really wanted to go on. There are also Prodive trips leaving daily. Given the chance again I still would not book ahead, the deals are just better when you are there. Although, book flights and car hire ahead of time for sure.
We stepped in Mike Ball's office sure that we couldn't afford it, and got the last two spots in a twin cabin (shared toilets) for AUD$850 including gear and everything.
This was my fourth liveaboard and the most professional and luxurious one I have ever been on. The crew is amazingly friendly, energetic, and in tune to your every need. I was very seasick the first day and while I was hanging off the back of the boat at least three different crew members came up to ask me if they could get me a drink or anything. The cook was always in the kitchen and created some really amazing meals. They were very helpful when I couldn't eat and put aside a plate for me and then reheated it later when I was feeling better. The cabins are made up every morning while you are on your first dive, and there's even a mint on your pillow. The a/c was a bit too cold, but there were nice thick clean comforters on the beds. All the toilets are shared except for in the premium cabins, but there were enough toilets and showers that you never had to wait. They were also kept very clean and tidy and were regular size and flush, the nicest I've seen on a boat. The dive deck was very spacious and had easy entry and exit and the crew was always on hand to help and log you in and out. They let you dive as a buddy team or if you were trained to, solo. You could also request guided dives. The crew made a point of learning everyone's names and greeting you, and were just extremely professional in all aspects.
The only thing that might have been better would be if they had full wetsuits instead of shortys as it was cold. The actual divesites were also somewhat disappointing but it must be the time of year or my expectations of the Barrier Reef are too high. I did a Prodive Liveaboard in Townsville three years ago and the diving itself was much better.
This was also the first liveaboard I've been on where they open the dive deck for a certain amount of time so everyone's not rushing in at once and you can dive at your leisure. We saw lots of Minke Whales.
The cruise ends (or begins, depending on your trip date) with a flight from Lizard Island. It was a lovely lowlevel flight over the reef in a small 10-seater. This is definately a really nice complement to the trip.
Overall, a really professionally run and enjoyable trip. :eyebrow:

The trip was 5 days/4 nights, but in reality the first day you are getting on the boat in the evening and the last day is the flight back, so you are diving 3 days. Most dive companies do this and it's annoying really.

We went as far as Cod Hole but didn't go to Osprey Reef, which I would have liked to.

chantana:
The trip was 5 days/4 nights, but in reality the first day you are getting on the boat in the evening and the last day is the flight back, so you are diving 3 days. Most dive companies do this and it's annoying really.
We went as far as Cod Hole but didn't go to Osprey Reef, which I would have liked to.

That's too bad, I did a five night 4 day with Quicksilvers "Diversity". We traveled to the reef the first night (Osprey). We started diving at 630 am. and did 4 dives a day with a night dive, Osprey was worth it. I also loved the area around Lizard Island. We had fourteen dives and two snorkels. Both snorkels were excellent, the first being at Lizard Island and the second with the Minke Whales.
The only thing I would have liked more would have been the low level flight, and more diving days.
Australia was a great country to visit, we will be going back next year. :07:
Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Did that trip beginning of January, agree about the great crew!

He's quite a cook isn't he????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom