Might save money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agilis

Cat Lives Matter
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I wonder, simply out of idle curiosity, if there is any good reason why a friendless person with no living relatives or artistic ability and a photographic memory would bother taking underwater photos? To avoid any misunderstandings, I should point out that I don't have a photographic memory.

Absolutely. I would guess that many, myself included, enjoy the challenge of getting that "perfect shot". For me, photography makes diving more fun and more interesting.

Well, since the major reasons I can think of to take pictures are to share with friends and family, to try to get "that" image, to speciate animals you're unsure of, and to document sites, if I had no friends, no artistic ambitions, and a photographic memory, I probably wouldn't bother with a camera. Thank goodness that person isn't me!

Yes, forget the camera and diving. Spend the saved money on beer and strippers.

This hypothetical unfortunate would certainly be well advised to forget the camera, since they probably have no need for one, but why abandon diving if they enjoy it? There may be some people who dive primarily to take pictures, but not too many, and there is always the possibility that those who do will eventually come to their senses.

Beer is fattening carbonated diabetes in a can, and strippers exist in a sordid ugly world, attracting primarily crude stupid drunken disreputable men, the sort of literal minded humorless individual that causes me to say to myself "Thank goodness that person isn't me!"

Reactions: Jax
I like the act/art of taking photos more than looking at them. It's a challenge to get the fish to move in the right direction, or anticipate it, get the light/composition correct etc., there's the 'box-ticking' element to photography as well.... hell it's a hobby.

I post them on facebook/my website more for advertising than sharing them for the 'love'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom