Miflex HP and Bursting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Use whatever strain reliefs you want, that hose has many other non-fixable problems. After everything that is posted here I'm baffled why anyone would still want to use one:idk:

Same thing happened to me, hose ruptured in the middle of its length for no apparent reason (no prior sign of wear). Never had an issue with any of the LP Miflex's. Wish I had done a bit of googling before wasting money on the HP hose.

Attachments

• IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0034.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 164
Same thing happened to me, hose ruptured in the middle of its length for no apparent reason (no prior sign of wear). Never had an issue with any of the LP Miflex's. Wish I had done a bit of googling before wasting money on the HP hose.

I wonder if this is an overtorque failure. Because the hose is so thin and it locks the SPG from rotating when pressurized, it would be easy to overtorque the hose. Once the hose is pressurized you cannot rotate the SPG.

Adam

I wonder if this is an overtorque failure. Because the hose is so thin and it locks the SPG from rotating when pressurized, it would be easy to overtorque the hose. Once the hose is pressurized you cannot rotate the SPG.

Adam

Which is ridiculous. I've been using the Phantom braided HP hose for quite a few dives now with no problems, it behave just like a normal hose.

Which is ridiculous. I've been using the Phantom braided HP hose for quite a few dives now with no problems, it behave just like a normal hose.

But isn't the Phantom hose wider than the Miflex? Remember that torque=radius* force. So when the radius is smaller the force is proportionally larger to resist the same torque on the hose.

Adam

But isn't the Phantom hose wider than the Miflex? Remember that torque=radius* force. So when the radius is smaller the force is proportionally larger to resist the same torque on the hose.

Adam

Yeah, that sounds right=the Miflex is a tiny hose that will break=don't use one:)

A couple of weeks ago at JB I witnessed someone having an issue with a brand new miflex HP hose leaking. He was already geared up and I was heading to the dive shop, so we offered to take it back and swap it out for him. The shop opened a package and gave us another new hose to take back to him. It leaked at the fitting as well and he ended up using a different hose.

A friend of mine had a HP hose blow in the parking lot as he was getting ready to load up his rebreather for a liveaboard trip. Luckily he had time to get a spare from a nearby shop before the trip left.

That makes 3 failures that I personally know about. I realize a lot of people like miflex hoses, but I haven't seen enough benefit to make me consider switching my LP hoses and there is no way I'd ever use the HP ones.

A couple of weeks ago at JB I witnessed someone having an issue with a brand new miflex HP hose leaking. He was already geared up and I was heading to the dive shop, so we offered to take it back and swap it out for him. The shop opened a package and gave us another new hose to take back to him. It leaked at the fitting as well and he ended up using a different hose.

A friend of mine had a HP hose blow in the parking lot as he was getting ready to load up his rebreather for a liveaboard trip. Luckily he had time to get a spare from a nearby shop before the trip left.

That makes 3 failures that I personally know about. I realize a lot of people like miflex hoses, but I haven't seen enough benefit to make me consider switching my LP hoses and there is no way I'd ever use the HP ones.

I believe Miflex updated the HP hose, so I'm wondering if you had the older version?

Adam

I personally have about 200 dives on my current miflex hp, which is the newer style........with zero failures, I have not yet seen a newer version fail................seems only the older style....just my .02

I personally have about 200 dives on my current miflex hp, which is the newer style........with zero failures, I have not yet seen a newer version fail................seems only the older style....just my .02

Does the gauge , with the new version of Miflex HP "turns" , under pressure ? The first version, did not.

Back
Top Bottom