Miflex hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been using miflex hoses for 3 years now. no problems. Just my 2 cents.

Been using miflex hoses for 3 years now. no problems. Just my 2 cents.

All my hoses are Miflex. Never a problem - love them. But I did take advantage of the recall for a new HP. From what I understand, the replacement hoses are also slighly larger in diameter.

Weight saving is really minimal between rubber and Miflex. The potential issue with Miflex is that their outter shell is very tough, much more so than the inner, air tight tube. It will not give you any warning at. It will just leak one day when it still look like in perfect condition. This happened to me. Personally, the disadvantage out eight the slight advantage.

My Miflex HP hose was bought in 2014. I called XS and they said send it in, so I did. Brand new hose on the way. No hassles.

They are sending mine back to me. Here's what they say:

"Hi Dan,

We received your two Miflex Hoses today, however they ARE NOT a part of the recall as they are the Carbon HP hoses and not the Black Recalled HP hoses. You should expect your returned hoses within the next week to 2 weeks.

Take Care and Dive Well,"

cid:image001.jpg@01D2AC70.4F26E770

EVERYTHING FOR THE PERFECT DIVE.....

Dave Saavedra | Sales Manager
4040 W. Chandler Avenue
Santa Ana, CA 92704

Phone: 866 977-2822 Ext. 233
Fax: 800 248-5430
Email: dave@xsscuba.com
Web: www.xsscuba.com / www.seapearls.com

As always, reading the complete articles is helpful and enlightening.

So, what should we recommend?

While DAN has been in contact with manufacturers of 'outer' braided hoses to assess possible causes as well as precautionary measures, we have a responsibility to inform divers about this much broader, critical safety concern. We feel it is important to advise divers as follows:

• All regulator hoses, including 'braided' hoses, have a limited service-life – irrespective of the external appearance, or the reinforcement and protection provided by hose protectors or the braiding itself.
  • Unlike the rubber hoses of old, the internal section of all newer hoses which use a thermoplastic inner layer appears to be uniquely prone to 'polymorphic crystallisation’, especially in hot, tropical locations. The phenomenon appears to be a gradual process, but the disruption of gas-flow and regulator function is unpredictable and invisible to external inspection.
  • If there is any sign of gas-flow restriction in the regulator assembly, particularly when using a newer hose, the diver should stop using the regulator immediately. A careful inspection of the regulator and the hose should be performed. If the regulator is not the cause, suspect the hose.
  • A physical examination including squeezing the hose every couple of inches to assess whether the hoses exhibits the same degree of flex should indicate if all is well. Any indication of a change in the resistance while squeezing along the length of the hose would be good sign that all is not well.
  • This test, on the braided hose, is in fact much easier to perform than with the harder, outer 'rubberized' hoses.
  • Do not clean out the inside of any hose with a detergent. Use warm water and a mild soap, and dry in a ventilated room.
  • Definitely avoid any contact with salt water – bacteria in certain parts of the world have been known to lead to premature deterioration of the hose liner.
  • Following this advice, and especially where regular inspections are performed on your hoses, will give you greater confidence that your hoses always perform as they should.

My wife has Myflex hoses on both her 2nd stages. I detach the hose from the regulator and inspect them before every trip. I use conventional rubber hoses and check for bubbles on every dive. I prefer my conventional hoses some of which are 20+ years old with no sign of failure.

The DAN Alert Diver article titled 'Air Hoses: A Closer Look' has triggered some inquiries regarding material used in the construction of double braided flex hoses. We supply Miflex hoses and they ARE NOT constructed with an inner lining of Polyester-TPU. That material can undergo changes, called hydrolysis, which cause the rapid failure of the hose especially in hot and humid conditions.

Miflex branded hoses are constructed with an inner lining of Polyether-TPU. Some other braided flex hoses are constructed with an inner lining of High Syntactic Polyvinyl Chloride. Regardless, neither Polyether-TPU or HS-PVC is Polyester-TPU. In our long 10 year history with all the double braided Miflex hoses we've sold, we've never seen anything we think could be the hydrolysis problem described in the DAN Alert Diver article.

Miflex hoses are the real deal and we believe safer with longer life than rubber hoses. They are manufactured in Italy with more than thirty individual performance and safety automated tests. All Miflex hoses are designed to meet CE EN250 standards and are Nitrox Ready. But make sure you buy high quality, Miflex hoses, not cheap brand flexible braided hoses made from inferior materials.

That recall was on the original 1st generation thin Miflex high pressure hose in the USA only. In the rest of the world Miflex made available a fix for those hoses, but then launched a 2dn generation version of those hoses with the fix build-in. These hoses are still available elsewhere in the world, but rarely seen.

The Miflex Carbon HD high pressure hoses now sold in the USA and throughout the world are an improvement on the 2nd generation of Miflex HP hoses.

Back
Top Bottom